Reoccurring eyelid ptosis, how many times can I get a bleph redone?

I have Ehlers danlos syndrome which contributes to my extremely lax skin. I am 20 and already I can see one of my eyelids is starting to sag. I heard at an Ehlers danlos support group of a few people who have needed multiple blephs because their lids descended so much they could hardly see. I am worried that if I get this done within the next few years I will just need it repeated every +/- 10 years just like some other Ehlers danlos people. How many times can someone get a bleph redone?

Eyelid Ptosis and blepharoplasty

+1
Dear Suzannedee, Thank you for your recent inquiry and I am sorry to hear about your concerns at such a young age. With eyelid surgery or blepharoplasty the necessary factor is having excess skin in the upper eyelid crease. Under examination if you are found to have excess skin causing either clinical ptosis or what we may call cosmetic ptosis then surgery may be performed to reduce this laxity. If you do not have enough skin then it is important not to have the procedure done. There is no amount of times by rule it is by appearance and need. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

How many blepharoplasties can someone have ?

+1

There is no specific number of blepharoplasties that someone can have. The most important factor is to have enough skin for eyelid closure. See an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation and treatment.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

You concerns are very appropriate.

+1

Unfortunately, surgeons often don't think long term.  I would be very careful regarding surgery for this.  You need to find care with very experienced fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeons.  Even then I would think long and hard about having surgery.  There will be very, very few community based surgeons with experience operating on a patent with Ehlers danlos.  I suggest you develop a relationship with an academic oculoplastic surgeon to is not trigger happy.  Less is more will be your watch words.