Beta Peel for Melasma/sun Damage. Edmonton, AB

I am starting a series of beta peel treatments to...

I am starting a series of beta peel treatments to try and get rid of dark spots on my face. I'm also using a tretinoid(sp?) cream and hydroquonine cream with Kojic mixed in. I originally tried ipl at a spa. Bad idea as it made it worse. Then I went to dermatoligist. Absolutely no improvement after 1st peel, which I expected. My skin isn't super sensitive and I think I should have let her keep it on longer but better to be safe than sorry. Has anyone else had a series of beta peels? What was the final outcome and how long did it take to notice a difference? Was it worth it? I also use sunscreen and wear hats religiously now(because I didn't in my 20's)

After IPL/Before first beta peel

A week after second peta peel

this is a two weeks after my 2nd beta peel. I'm not going to do a stronger peel (They call it their UltraPeel) that I have to leave on overnight. I'm told this one will shed my skin. I have taken over a week off work to do it.

After 2nd Beta peel

7 days after after Ultra Peel

I am happy to see that my melasma is fading! Looks like the "mustache" is almost gone and the stain on my forehead as faded considerably.
The Ultra Peel went very well, and I'm glad I took 9 days off work, as it took 6 days to stop peeling. I've also received my Nucelle order and started using their 15% Mandelic Acid line yesterday. I think it was a good idea to have 2 beta and 1 Ultra peel first, as now I get a "fresh start" before using the nucelle. Probably saved myself months of waiting.
I'm really learning that as I age, exfoliation is KEY. I'm hooked on peels and will probably do them regularly now, but hoping this Nucelle helps more too, as I just can't be taking time off work to do peels all the time. The down time is a bit too long.

July 2015

I just thought I'd finish off my entire post by saying, none of this worked for me. My melasma is worse than ever and spreading around my face. I'm now going to try a naturopath for hormone testing because other signs indicate estrogen dominance anyway. Already tried medical doctor, did thyroid testing. All good there.
I've tried: peels, topicals, laser, Nucelle mandelic acid, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, peroxide, Taking msm supplements.
The only time my
Melasma looked good was a month or so after a peel. Then it just comes back. Unless you want to slap a bunch of liver toxic ting hydroquinione on your face, which usually turns it a weird grey color anyway. Then it comes back when you stop using it.
My fiancé is so tired of seeing me depressed about it. I'm getting married in a month and dreading pictures, instead of feeling happy about the day I've been waiting for all my life. We are going to try the gerson therapy. Raw food and juice to get my hormones back in check and fix my potential adrenal fatigue.
Doctors are idiots. And dermatologists just send you to their helper person who only knows how to do peels.
None of this treats the root cause. We all think it's "working" so we post all excited. But it always comes back.
Good luck everyone!
Dr. Sapijaszko's assistant

The doctors are great here! My consultation was thorough and they seemed to know what I needed which was reassuring.