Would Do It Again in a Second

My eyesight was so bad, it frightened me. If I'd...

My eyesight was so bad, it frightened me. If I'd lost a contact or broken my glasses while driving, I could not get behind the wheel. Now I can see clearly and not worry. It was difficult to do activities such as snorkeling, hiking, kayaking, etc., and now I love the outdoors. I also didn't like my looks with glasses; they really detracted from my face. But it became difficult for me to wear contacts due to the dry climate in Arizona.

I would have Lasik again in a second. It's the best money I've ever spent.

The discomfort was minimal. I had it done in the morning and went home and slept. I awoke around 1 p.m. and my eyes felt like they'd been rubbed with sandpaper, but felt better after drops. I took another sleeping pill and slept until about 7 p.m. That evening, I watched a movie on TV without glasses, and the next morning I drove to Target and went shopping.

The only catch: They under-corrected my right eye and I had to have it done again. But it was even less uncomfortable the second time. I do have slight blurriness at night and when my eyes are tired, but nothing too bad.

They told me not to wear eye makeup for a few months, which was weird, but I got used to it. I'm glad I did it when I was in my early 30s and could have several good years without reading glasses. I'm 41 now and probably will need them at some point in my 40s.

Dr. Lorin Swagel with Swagel Wooten Eye Center

I had excellent follow-up care and felt like the doctor was extremely competent. He had no board complaints and also (at the time, at least) flew to other places to teach other eye doctors the procedure.