Full of Regrets read to the end - Worcestershire, England

I have my procedure on Saturday morning. It...

I have my procedure on Saturday morning. It seems forever since I booked it and the worry and anxiety since has been tremendous. Reading all the reviews here has helped as I don't know anyone that has had a facelift to discuss my decision with. Reading how everyone had researched their surgeon and procedure has also been a bit of a worry as I went with the first surgeon I saw, he made me feel very confident in his abilities and didn't try to push me into any procedures I didn't want though. Wish I had found this site before I booked. Anyway the good news is all the anxiety has been great for my weight. I will post some photos when my computer is working again, I only have a tablet at the moment.

all done now

Had my procedure yesterday. I was so nervous I felt like I was some one else looking on. Got to the clinic early and then waited for ever to be shown to my room. But then everything happened very quickly. They were very thorough going over again my medical history, doing lots of test, including an ECG, and before I knew it I was being walked to the theatre. I seemed to be an age waiting to be anaesthetised, and was wondering if anyone has ever jumped up and run away before,- I was tempted. I must point out here, that before I went in I asked the surgeon to take some more pictures with my camera and then explained about this site and the fact that I was going to do a review. I thought it would be good insurance and give him some motivation to do a good job!! I went to theatre at 12pm and got back to my room at 4pm. Can't really tell how I will look as my face is very swollen, but I am quietly optimistic. I got my calculations wrong regarding the price, it is £5,500 gbp which is around $9,200. That includes the procedure, tests and a 2 night stay in hospital and unlimited aftercare. Which I don't think is too bad. I haven't been able to sleep fot more than an hour at a time. Have had quite a bit of pain on and off, but feeling ok at present. I will post pictures as soon as I can.

full facelift including neck (no eyework as i was too cowardly)

Just realised I forgot to mention what the procedure was.

morning of day 3 if you count nce operation day as day 1

Haven't slept well since operation. Keep thinking I look like sponge Bob square pants. I realise this is normal at this stage to panic and wonder if you have done the right thing, thanks to reading others reviews. Can't wait for the swelling to subside.

day 4 post op

Feeling a little more optimistic today. Swelling hasn't got any worse and may even be a little better. It is only ready other people's experiences and reassurance from my new "pals" that has stopped me going over the edge with worry. I see how great ever one else is looking and think it will be my turn soon, I will get over this setback. Next job is to start nagging husband to get the computer fixed so that I can post pictures. Trouble is he is being so supportive I don't like to him, had to make him go to work today as he thought I wouldn't cope without him.

Thursday now day 5 post I think

Looked in the mirror this morning and thought I saw a little of me back, ie bruising and swelling not so bad. Thank you to all of you who said today would be the turning point, as usual you were right. Thank god I found this site. My bruising and swelling has been tremendous, but then the surgeon had a lot of neck and sagging jowels to liposuction, stitch and pull. Will be going into Cwmbran this weekend to purchase a new computer, seems there is a problem with windows xp. Just hope I don't bump into any of my colleagues who think I am on a walking holiday. Anyway once I have posted my before and during pictures you will see the mammoth task my surgeon had. I am fed up sleeping upright. I never imagined how debilitating the surgery would be either, managed to cook a curry yesterday and that left me exhausted. I had images of me pottering around the house and Garden catching up with little jobs, no chance. I think it may be months before I am digging up the garden again.

8 day post

I am still bruised and swollen, but I love my new neck and chin. Once the swelling has receded from my face and it doesn't look so square, I am sure I will be extremely happy that I took the plunge after so many months dithering. It was a hard decision to make as I don't know anyone else that has had a facelift and i was so worried that people would think me ridiculous and vain -but hey, who cares now when I have a jaw line and neck for the first time in many many years. I recommend Mr Michael Payne highly. I can't thank my new friends on this site enough for helping me through this process.

Day 11 post procedure

Computer working at last. First few photo's of days 1 to 3. More to come

And there is more

I was very swollen and bruised for a long time (still am), but seeing a slight improvement every day. Pictures do not show how bad swelling really got.

12 day post op

12 days post procedure and first time out

Eldest son is visiting today, so I have to abandon wearing the chin strap and try to do something about the bruises. Face still swollen at the sides and skin numb in front of the ears. Still have a head full of staples which don't come out until next week. Spent ages putting on my makeup and arranging my hair over the staples and scars. I think I will be OK though as sons don't really see their mums as women, he probably won't even notice. Will just have to be careful when he arrives and tries to pick me up in his usual bear hug. Feeling almost normal today and am impatient for the swelling on sides of face (can't really see it in photo) to go down. One side more swollen than other and giving me a lopsided look. Had a walk around the shops earlier today and kept thinking I had forgotten something only to realise it was the chin strap - I felt naked without it. I will post more photo's when I am 2/3 week post op.

he didn't notice

Son came home, bounced through the door and made a bee line for me. His dad had to shout "careful your mum has bruised her face", so he pulled back a little on the bear hug, gave me a quick look and said "have you lost weight, what have you got in to eat, I am starving"?
I was pleased but at the same time disappointed, which is daft as I don't want anyone to know.

19 Days Post Op with new hairdo

Had my staples out on Tuesday, some hurt some didn't, but feels a lot better with them out. Went to the hairdresser yesterday. Had to tell her about the op because of the scabs, but was a bit disappointed when all she said was "yes I can see you do look better" in a very unbelievable voice. I always used to keep my hair very short and behind my ears, but started growing it before the procedure to cover ears, so although my hair doesn't look much different to you, it is very different to how I used to wear it. Went to Gloucester Quays shopping with my son on Saturday, after he complained about the prices in one shop that was supposed to have a 70% reduction someone said to him "you don't go shopping too often with your wife then", he was gutted and replied "this is my mother" to which the man said "oh, sorry" and made a hasty retreat. I felt sorry for him as it was that long ago that someone thought I was my husbands mother. As I told him people don't look properly and just assume, I am just know though that this assumption wouldn't have been made a few weeks ago. The swelling has slipped down my face and now give me a chubby joweled looked which I am hoping will go with time. Hoping the swelling will go down before my other son's wedding in 2 week sand 3 days, but if it doesn't I won't be too bothered as I am feeling great anyway.

3 weeks today since procedure

Thought I would add more selfies as well as fully made up pictures. Feel a little more swollen today, but I had just had a hot shower before I took the photos.

back to work today

First day back at work on day 24 post procedure. Apparently my new hairstyle and colour and weight loss have knocked years off me!! One colleague kept looking at me though. Husband said it was a b*+×dy expensive hairstyle.


Well the long awaited day has been and gone. Bride beautiful and groom handsome. I would like to post a picture of them but I think they might object if they knew. All went well and I looked the best I could considering it was only 5 weeks post procedure. I am still a little chipmunkie looking around the cheeks, but everyone said I looked great and my weight loss and hair style had knocked years off me. When introduced to brides mum's best friend she said I did not look old enough to be grooms mum - I didn't bother to tell her I had another son who is 40. I just wish that the swelling would go away and face and neck would settle down, but after reading everyone's reviews here it seems that this may take some time yet. This site has been a godsend to me.

7 and a half weeks post

It is now 7 and a half weeks post procedure. I am still quite swollen around the jowls and numb around the ears. I know I look better than I did, but I can't help worrying that the jowls are here to stay. I am posting a couple of pics, one taken today and one a few years ago. I expect I am just too critical of myself and impatient too.


Here are the pictures. Sorry the site crashed earlier when I was trying to post them.

3 months and one week

Hi all
I am now back from my cruise and had a great time. I have my 3 month review at the end of next month as my PS only visits Bristol one day each month and last month would have been too soon. This will be the first time I have seen him since leaving the hospital. My reviews so far have been done by a nurse. I know I look a lot better but I can't help feeling a little disappointed that since the swelling has receded I look more like my old "old" self and have a few saggy bits around mouth and neck. I am posting photo's for you to decide for yourself. That said I am happy I had the face lift.

OOPS posted last pictures before I had finished

Full of regrets

It is now over a year since my procedure and the sag has come back worse than before. At least before I didn't have the wrinkles in my neck, just a sag.

At last

I eventually got my yearly review at 14 months post op. After waiting for over an hour in his waiting room, whilst more important customers (probably those who haven't parted with any money yet) came and went I eventually was called in. I took my husband in with me this time so that I wouldn't be fobbed off. Michael Payne was completely oblivious to the fact that I was not happy with my fl at the 4 month review as he had put one sentence in his notes - that I was happy. As it was my husband didn't need to say anything as I was on a roll and afterwards he (husband) said I was very comprehensive and assertive. I am only usually good at being assertive when it is for my family, usually rubbish when it is me. Any way Michael Payne took more photos and said he would contact me in 2 weeks. 3 weeks later and after staying by the phone listening out for far too long I contacted his patient coordinator (sales woman I now believe), and she emailed him and said he was away and would contact me the next week, 2 weeks later still no contact so I emailed again and was told that Michael was in clinic on Monday (today) and that she had booked a telephone slot for him to phone me. Eventually at 3.30pm the phone call came. Michael Payne agreed to a revision and is also going to do fat transfers into my lines by mouth. I cannot do this until January as since retiring I have far too much going on to hide away for a few weeks. It was agreed that I will contact his patient coordinator in November to make arrangements to see him in December to talk about the revision to be sure I am happy with what will happen. Hopefully he isn't going to ask for any more money!!!.

Anyway to cut a long story short, I would like some advice from anyone who has had a revision - is it worth it - is it worse second time around - would I be better off just accepting the fact that I am nearly 63 and am sagging? I am feeling nervous, this is a big thing to go through once never mind twice.
Michael Payne

I was very naïve when booking my procedure. I hadn't come across this site then and had only looked at pretty local clinics. I picked the hospital group as they did free initial consultations when others charged. I was pretty impressed with Mr Payne though as he didn't seem to push me into anything although with hindsight, I think I need my eyes doing too, but I wasn't in the right place mentally to contemplate this at the time. I booked the procedure and then spent the next 2 months worrying about it, especially after reading all the research others had done on their PS. At my 3 month review (was in 4 months as difficult getting an appointment), I complained that the sag was coming back as the swelling reduced. Dr Payne told me that he had warned me that it would come back in time with movement. I pointed out that I had thought he meant years, not before the swelling or pain had even gone, but he was having none of it. I hadn't realised in initial interview with him that when he kept moving his head and saying that time and movement would produce the sage again, that this was a "get out clause". I have trouble looking in the mirror now. The hospital group boast about their lifetime after care, but I have only seen Dr Payne once since having the procedure and this was very difficult to arrange. All the follow up had been done by nurses. I am trying to arrange my 12 month follow up, but I have put it off due to the difficulty of getting an appointment and I know he will only say he had warned me that the sag would return.

1 out of 5 stars Overall rating
4 out of 5 stars Doctor's bedside manner
2 out of 5 stars Answered my questions
2 out of 5 stars After care follow-up
2 out of 5 stars Time spent with me
2 out of 5 stars Phone or email responsiveness
4 out of 5 stars Staff professionalism & courtesy
5 out of 5 stars Payment process
4 out of 5 stars Wait times
Was this review helpful? {{ voteCountOthers + ' other' + (voteCountOthers == 1 ? '' : 's') }} found this helpful