37 Y.o. BCC on Side of Nose/inner Corner of Eye - Westfield, NJ

I had my BCC biopsied 4 years ago. The story...

I had my BCC biopsied 4 years ago. The story behind my initial Moh's appointment is too long to get in to. I foolishly procrastinated out of fear of the surgery & because it's a benign skin cancer. I have psoriatic arthritis & in order to begin the more aggressive drugs, I was told the BCC had to go. My surgeon was fantastic, he got it all in 2 passes & took the skin for the graft from in front of my ear because I get psoriasis behind my ear. I was very anxious & had an anxiety attack when he was prepping to graft & close up, and he was very comforting & understanding. I'm a week post-op & am packing it with neosporin daily & keeping it covered. It looked very small on the surface but what it had grown to underneath while I procrastinated was very eye-opening to me. The size of the wound is a little smaller than the diameter of a nickel. I understand now why this had to go. It looks gross right now but it's healing. It's a little itchy, I've gotten sudden tiny stinging sensations a few times & am pleased because that tells me everything is healing & the nerves are in good shape. In terms of fear & anxiety, this was a pretty bad experience for me, but if throughout my life it's the worst, then I'm very fortunate.

37 y.o. BCC on side of nose/inner corner of eye

So far, so good!

Today is 3 weeks post-op & things are looking good! Still keeping the wound wet. I had a small outbreak of psoriasis around my nose, which sometimes happens with skin trauma when you have PsA. My left eye was super itchy (think conjunctivitis-itchy) for a few days as well. Can barely see where the graft was taken from in front of my ear at this point. I can get it wet in the shower now, I can't let soaps get in it, but I gently blot it with wet gauze after showering & applying new goop. I'm using Aquaphor now & can leave it uncovered. Still don't have a lot of feeling when applying ointment with a q-tip, but that will probably take a few more months.

4 weeks later

Tomorrow is four weeks since my surgery & I no longer need to keep ointment on the wound & can now resume my normal bedazzling! I'm pretty hopeful that this will continue to heal well & my next follow up with the surgeon is in December. I'm using some cortisone for a few days to address the psoriasis that popped up around the area. In another week or so, I can begin some gentle circular massage to further encourage blood flow & break down any thickened scar tissue on my nose & my ear where the graft was taken from (used to be a massage therapist).

One year plus!

It's been over a year now since my BCC was removed. I'm really happy with the result! You can't really tell I had such a big wound. I don't have as sensitive a feeling as I do in the same spot on the other unaffected side, but it's no bother at all. The area in front of my ear where the graft was taken has no scar whatsoever. All in all, I'm extremely happy with the outcome.
Westfield Dermatologist

Excellent. Very skilled, took the time to reassure me during my consult & during the surgery. Great bedside manner. Wonderful doctor.