Corrective Surgery to Improve Effects of Permanent Bell’s Palsy - West Hills, CA

I was afflicted with Bell’s Palsy in 2005. The p...

I was afflicted with Bell’s Palsy in 2005. The paralysis affected the entire left side of my face, leaving me unable to properly blink or close my eye and unable to smile or make facial expressions. In addition to the physical dysfunction, I looked quite disfigured which was emotionally very difficult. After a year of trying a variety of physical therapy approaches, acupuncture and undergoing diagnostic nerve testing, it was clear I was not going to have any recovery. I had weights implanted in my eyelid to assist with closure and a brow lift to raise my left eye to a more normal level. I underwent a surgical procedure to split my hypoglossal (tongue) nerve and connect half of it to my nonfunctioning facial nerve. After several more months, this procedure did give some “tone” to my facial muscles and improved my sagging left face by about 40%. I continued with intense, specialized physical therapy for about six months with no further improvement. Since then, I have coped with constant “dry eye” (requiring lubricating ointment at night & multiple times during day), irritating eyelashes that pointed downward and a progressively drooping eyelid which began to impair my vision in recent years.
I was referred to Dr. Massry by my ophthalmologist. My priorities were to improve comfort and function. I found Dr. Massry to possess all the qualities that other patients mention: knowledgeable, competent, realistic, creative, compassionate, patient and caring. I had spent years being my own advocate. Most physicians know little about Bell’s Palsy and there is no cure. I heard “there is nothing we can do” countless times. Insurance companies know even less about Bell’s Palsy and every treatment option can be a major battle for coverage. Dr. Massry suggested some surgical approaches that would minimize “cutting” on my already severely compromised eyelid. In lay terms, Dr. Massry repositioned the weights in my eyelid, repositioned my eyelashes and performed another left brow lift to raise my sagging eyelid. He also performed a right brow lift to improve overall symmetry. The outcome hugely surpassed my admittedly limited hopes. Dr. Massry has changed my life! My eye closure is much better thus hugely reducing constant dry eye. I no longer suffer from irritating eyelashes 24/7. I don’t feel like I am looking out from under a “hood”. The biggest surprise was that my eyes appear much more normal and symmetrical. I am much less self conscious and people I meet for the first time do not ask if I had a stroke. I would recommend Dr. Massry to anyone who has need. He is truly THE BEST!
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon