Panniculectomy Needed to avoid under belly Rashes - Washington, DC

I am a 33 year old woman who has had multiple...

I am a 33 year old woman who has had multiple problem with umbilical hernias. I have had 2 previous surgeries for hernia repairs and abdominal reconstruction to strengthen up my abdominal muscle walls. During my last hernia repair surgery my PS wanted to perform a Panniculectomy during that time but my insurance would not cover the cost of the procedure. Recently I went in January to see my PS because I was having abdominal pain. During that consultation he stated that we could try to see if we can get it done. To my surprise after about 3 weeks I got my approval for my procedure. I have included the before pics. I am now a week post-op and go back 3/22 hopefully I can have my drains removed but if not I will still post pics.

Drains are not leaking as much

So after meeting with my PS today he informed me that he would like to leave my drains in for another week to prevent Seroma. My drains are not not putting out that much fluid but he said that is good just keeping milking them to make sure that when he pulls them there isn't a big mess. Although the DR said that everything is fine I still feel a little weary that I have to leave the drains in with nothing coming out of them. Overall the visit went great and I am healing as to be expected although I am still a little sore and swollen in my tummy. Here are some more pics to track my progress. My PS stated to me that he was able to keep my original belly button and I am extremely happy about that.

13 post op....Still a little swollen, drains are annoying

So as of now I am 13 post op and I am still a little sore but able to move around a little bit more. Drains are putting out about 10-12 ml (both sides total). I am so anxious to go back to my PS on Tuesday so that he can take the out. I am able to wear my binder a little tighter than it originally was, if not it will slide down and move around. Is there anyone that have experienced a panniculectomy, well I know that there are but what was the time frame that you really started noticing the swelling going down? My tummy is still swollen at the top and in the middle by my belly button just a little. Still unable to wear underwear comfortably I think because of the drains. I will say that I am loving the results that I see, although I really have not been putting on clothes.

healing and itchy phase

My incision is definitely healing bc it's itches extremely a lot. The scabs are peeling which is a good sign. How is blue heaven do people deal with the itching? Are you allowed to use anything on the incision to decrease some of the itching? it is also extremely dry....Please help!!

Frienemies (tubes) are gone!!

Forgot to post pics the day that I left the DR but my frienemies (drain tubes) have been removed. I gave them that name simply because they were like friends that I had to hold on to but then enemies because I hated them and they were annoying. Anywho I am able to exercise and slowly getting back to my regular daily routine. I have been able to lift about 5-8 lbs but my PS recommended me to wait 10 days from last visit before I start doing anything strenuous. Outside of my limited restrictions I feel great and love my results even with the swelling still in my tummy. I am unable to wear regular clothing with buttons as I don't want to put too much pressure on my tummy but I'm gettin there. Will keep you all updated.

1 month post op

I am feeling great although still a little swelling I am able to get in and feel more comfortable in my clothes. My scar from incision looks great!! Will post more pics as I continue to heal.
Dr. Derek Masden

Dr. Masden was the best as he walked through the procedure step by step and ensured that I understood every single detail. Dr. Masden's staff was and always have been pleasant and made sure that I was comfortable for each and every visit. In my opinion Dr. Masden is the best and I am very thankful that I met him.