Lip Lift with Dr. Stephen Baker - Washington, DC

Sort by:
*Treatment results may vary

I have always had too much space between my lip...

I have always had too much space between my lip and nose. I hated the way it made me look. I was a member of RBF. If I wasn't smiling, people thought I looked sad or angry. I was once teased about this and it stuck with me. This coupled with being very visual, all I notied were peoples lips, and how minimal everyone's distance between there lip and nose were and used to fantasize about what it would be like to have more of a top lip. I did fillers and not only did I look like a duck, it ended up messing my lip - it now turns down on my right side. I have a very asymetrical face and a scar under my bottom lip so the photos will always look lopsided. I don't see it when I look in the mirror - but the pictures show it. C'estt la vie - Until I win the lottery...

photo day of - This is pretty gross and 3 days later

I was frightened when I first saw this photo. Nothing like changing the middle of your face. I should have bought the Groucho Marx glasses with the nose attached and, done it closed to Halloween so I could go about my day without looking like the bride of Frankenstein.

This is 3 days later

I was the most swollen this day. I wish my lips would stay as plump and deflate the rest of me. Oh boy the nose... It's quite frightening to look in the mirror and not recognize yourself. Every morning I would take a deep breath before I looked in the mirror. I kept thinking everytime I looked in the mirror that I would look different, but it does take time. this is the time to be hedonistic and watch all your guilty pleasure tv shows and movies. I discovered that vegetables were impossible to eat unless I basically ate baby food so I rediscovered french fries - now I can't stop. It's a lot easier to drink you vegetables, but it can get messy - wear a bib.

16 days after surgery (I can't seem to get the dates corrected)

This procedure is pretty amazing. I couldn’t look in the mirror at my lips without getting depressed. I was so uncomfortable with my mouth that I hid behind my long hair, always wore a complete face of make up and did everything to distract from the fact that I had this drab “lip curtain” that always brought me down. I used to look at myself and pick my lip up and fantasize about having big lips with minimal space and red lipstick. I even went to a surgeon who was considered one of the top 3 facial cosmetic surgeons in Manhattan to see if anything could be done, but short of making my nose slant downwards (which he merely mentioned but decided that was crazy), there wasn’t anything out there. It wasn’t until years later, when I found the reviews on this website, I had no idea this could be done. So I thank everyone who posted there reviews and helped me find the best guy for the job and one class act in particular who has been incredibly informational and supportive, I guess you can say my wish came true. Now I just have to quit the french fries.

16 days after surgery - sorry I'm not great at posting things...

My lips are less full, yet my nose and the skin above my lip is still a bit swollen so...

does anyone know of a great dr. in Manhattan for Lip fillers? I don't love the people I have been to in the past.

here is my 1 month post...

Today is one month after my procedure. My apolgies, I have no make up and tons of face cream/oil and scar gell on. I'll wear lipstick tomorrow to show what can be done.

photos of lips with lipstick and photos of scar.

Every angle my lips look different. They look different in person than in photos, but I'm doing the best to show you the various looks as well as how this scar gell has closed up the wound!

DO YOUR HOMEWORK - not every surgeon works the same or has the same amount of experience

There is a saying, if you do something right the first time... Well, i didn't

Originally, I called Dr. Baker's office to make a phone appointment with him. I didn't get all my questions answered, but he was very pleasant, and had done many (supposedly) cleft pallet procedures so I thought, he knew very knowledgable about the lip and nose area. I was waiting a long time to get this procedure done so I made an appointment for the procedure and and an appointment to see him the day before. When I asked to see all the before and after photos I was promised, all he had was a photo of the one already on this website and maybe one other. My appointment was the last one of the day and he was anxious to leave so I didn’t get all my questions answered. He mocked the way other doctors did this procedure when I asked about lifting from the sides. But i did think he was going to lift from the width of the bottom of my nose. I was unclear about how he could remove 8 - 9 mm but decided to trust him and thought since my mouth wasn’t that wide, there wouldn’t be an issue. Please don’t ever let a doctor rush you and make sure you understand what your end result would look like before you have any surgery.

On the day of the surgery, I had to be sedated so I was rushed around. He never marked my face while i was awake and sitting upright or went over anything before the surgery. I was rushed to sign papers and the next thing I know I was out. When I woke up, I had a feeling that something didn’t look right. I had seen so many photos on line, and I looked ridiculous. I let things go, and decided to wait to see how I healed.

After the swelling went down, my sister kept saying something didn’t look right, that something was crooked. As it turned out, when Dr. Baker sutured me up, the alignment was off and my left philtrum ended up almost in the middle of my collumnella (you can't see perfectly from photos) and the middle of my lip was over my left front tooth. In addition, it was like he literally just lifted the center and let the rest of the lips droop (check my 1st photo you ) The end result was pretty bad. I had to wear bright lipstick to create an illusion of more of a lip on the sides. My sister and I went down to meet with him and he did acknowledge that the alignment was off. He offered to fix it but I needed the sides lifted (especially if he was going to take off more from the center. He originally said “he didn’t believe in lifting the sides” to saying “I don’t like to lift the sides”. There was no proof he has ever done that procedure and I wasn’t about to be a guinea pig. I thought and hoped in this case, he would refund my money since he “doesn’t like” or “doesn’t lift the sides”, but he passed me onto the hospital administration and I was refused. In addition, when I asked for all my paper work, it never stated that he even did the surgery. The paper work was very unprofessional and barely legible. I’m not trying to hurt Dr. Baker, I’m just letting everyone know not to take surgery lightly and to do your homework. I went to the only person I knew I would be in good hands with, Dr. Randal Haworth
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

I had general anesthesia because I can't tolerate pain after numeous surgeries and regular IV sedation wasn't safe for me due to throat issues.