Just Getting Started - Washington, DC

Pretty serious overcrowding that needs two tooth...

Pretty serious overcrowding that needs two tooth extracted prior to start of Invisalign. I have 39 aligners but was told there's a chance I won't need the last threes as they are for "over correction"? Not sure.
My ortho said he used to sell acceledent but not anymore since he thought it didn't work and it doesn't have enough scientific backups. He said it could all just be placebo, but considering I am looking at 18 months of treatment not counting the adjustments I think I will be signing up to give it a go regardless. Reducing the time I have to wear these sound so amazing.
Today is day 2, and it has been pretty miserable, my tongue feels roughed up, my teeth which is not used to being flossed so twice a day is bleeding a little. I also have a little bleeding as I struggle to remove the aligners to eat.
My fingers and nails are shredded but in terms of pain in my mouth it is really just a sore, that one ibuprofen was adequate to last the whole day of discomfort. So all in all not so bad.

I have already lost three pounds though between the tooth extraction a week prior and now the eating on a schedule.

I am still trying to figure out my routine, so don't know what I will be doing long term yet. But I am a multi small meals type of person so I don't know how to adjust yet besides starving.

2nd set of aligners

2nd set was put in on Thursday. Still speak with an embarrassing lisp but some times are better than others. Hoping I will improve continuously.
I do ok when I just have had a sip of water, but terrible when I am tired near end of work day or when I tried to speak quickly. Sads for needing to sound professional all day.

This second aligner has a notch for the elastic I will need in the near future but it was cut poorly so the sharp edge gave me a cut inside my mouth, with blood seeping and stuck inside the aligner...I walked around looking like a vampire with blood on my teeth until my friend pointed that out.

luckily I learned the Emory board trick from reading realself so that resolved the issue and took about a day to heal up.

Also started the acceledent, my ortho said he used to sell it but doesn't think it works. But after doing my research I decided to give it a go, he ordered that for me so I started that the day I started my second tray, we will see how that goes. I

n my case since we are projecting for 18months if it has a chance to reduce that by a third it would be worth 1k for me, so it was a no brainer when some said it cuts their time by half.

I am beginning to establish a good routine and bag of tricks. Sharing here in case it helps anyone-

1. Buy that outie tool on Amazon! And save your poor fingers digging it out especially if you have attachments!

2. Get the Reach flosser thingie on Amazon! Makes flossing so much easier and pleasant and less bloody for me with sensitive gum.

3. I also got a retainer with a mirror instead of the standard one that came with Invisalign, makes it so much easier for removal and putting on in a pinch.

4. In terms of diet, I am keeping those few lbs lost from the extractions and initial shock so far. I am an occasional snacker only but I eat so slowly typically that to maximize my time without the invisalign, I have noticed I am eating a little less or forcing myself to eat quicker.

Lastly, let's get real about drinking iced water only.

I experimented with drinking colored liquid in the last week of my first aligner, while also using a denture cleaner every night, the stain factor was negligible enough that I have decided iced coffee can come back into my life! So is iced tea. Yay! (No sugar and no dairy on them though just plain iced)

I also cheated with gin cocktails when out and about, so far so good. Just brush floss and rinse as soon as I can after.
I also try to sip water after my colored drinks and wth my clear cocktails, working out great so far!

tried soylent once for lunch, leaves some white residue but comes right off when I got home, we will see if this will become a thing for me.

Dr Orbach

Pretty good so far, although there was mention of buttons but I was not informed how many there would be until the day I showed up for the "installation". Also never shown me the click check and I only found out this is a thing until I got on Real Self