Getting Rid of My Cafe Au Lait Spot - Virginia Beach, VA

Hello. I have had this birthmark all of my life...

Hello. I have had this birthmark all of my life and I am tired of it. It in on my chest so I cannot wear V Neck tops or scooped neck things. Also, I was told that my father had similar birth marks on his body. I don't want to be anything like him because he was a deadbeat who did not do his job. So, I am getting this removed.

The first picture is after my first treatment. It got a bit darker after my first treatment as I was warned that it would. But, after that, it is supposed to fade. I had to pay a $97 consultation fee (which was way too high IMHO for a consultation) and $125 per treatment for the laser. The laser is the new state of the art Picosure laser. The equipment is very expensive and this is new technology so I can justify the price on the actual procedure. I am guessing I will need about 3 treatments.

The doctor seems to think I will need less. But, when I was adding up the total cost, I just put $472 for Realself to accommodate the consultation charge and three treatments. We shall see.

No Results Yet....

I haven't really seen any results yet. But, it could take up to six weeks to see results. So, we shall see.

Second Treatment....Progress!!!

I had a second treatment about a week ago. The birthmark turned black and peeled. Now, a piece in the middle is gone and it looks like it is fading around the perimeter as well. The picture does not look as good as it looks in real life. I hope the improvement continues and I don't have to have too many more treatments. This session was a bit more painful even with the numbing cream. But, it was nothing I could not handle and it was such a small area that it was over fast.

I See Real Progress!!!!!

I recently had a third treatment. The birthmarked area turned into one big blister. It did not hurt but it looked weird. I freaked out and called the doctor. He said not to worry but to come in. They popped a hole in the blister to deflate it but left the blister skin in tact because the blister is "nature's bandaid" and it has growth factors and healing things in it to help skin heal better. They also used an LED treatment on it after they popped the blister. It is just like shining a light on the area of the skin to reduce inflammation. I was told to keep it covered and to keep ointment on it. I did it for a few days but I had to let it breath today because it was too itchy covered up.

It looks as though the birthmark is gone! The area underneath is pink. There is a chance that some of the pigment cells could regenerate and I might need another treatment---but I might not :) We shall see. I am quite amazed. Dr. McDaniel definitely knows what he is doing and has the most up to date equipment in the Hampton Roads area.

It's Baaaack!

The birthmark is back though it is a bit lighter. :(
Norfolk Dermatologic Surgeon

They are very nice here. Dr. McDaniel is very friendly and knowledgeable and so is his staff. The nurse who used the laser today was very sweet and said that she would call tomorrow to make sure that I am okay. My only issue was how long it took for me to be seen for my consultation. I was in that exam room waiting for what seemed like ages. But, then again, his office is busy and maybe they (like some hairdressers) have to overbook for consultations because of the "looky loos" and flakes (in other words...the no shows and time wasters). But for my first non-consultation appointment (today), they got to me quickly.