Cancer Free After Bi-lateral Mastectomy and Reconstruction, Concave Chest - Vancouver, WA

Last spring I remember thinking I was healthier...

Last spring I remember thinking I was healthier than I had been in probably 20 years. A couple months later I noticed that my energy level dropped and I had a small pain that happened just once and seemed to be coming from my right breast. I thought the pain was odd and surely I must have bumped my breast. Because of the drop in energy I went in and had a wellness physical with a mammogram. I was surprised that it turned out to be breast cancer - estrogen & progesterone negative and high nuclear grade. I located an Oncologist and she brought in a Plastic Surgeon that she likes to work with. They are a great team. The surgery was done under my breasts so there is no visible scar and they were able to save my nipples. The cancer was DCIS and I did not have to have chemo or radiation. The Plastic Surgeon placed expanders under the muscle during that surgery. Six weeks later I ended up back in the hospital with an infection under my arm where the lymph nodes were taken. A week in the hospital, 2 surgeries and a lot of drugs finally got it under control.
The expanders were filled to 395cc which brought my chest up to flat. I never knew that I have what is considered a concave chest. My ribs are actually flat instead of being a little rounded across my chest. My PS put 20-700cc implants in on 12/31/13 and I am still pretty flat! The solution to this is to switch out these implants to 45-800cc implants. These are the largest high projection implants made and on me it will probably be just a full C-cup. My PS will also do fat injections. I got another infection 6 weeks after this surgery also. This time it was caught earlier and I just had to take antibiotics.
This whole experience has been an emotional roller-coaster and after the implants were put in I was majorly disappointed. I have learned that I am not alone, many of us are. The implants do change: they drop and fluff. They soften. I took a list of questions to my PS and he helped me out a lot. I do have to have another surgery but I am not in any hurry. I am so grateful to be cancer free and to getting back to feeling better! I am 65 years old and just stopped hanging wallpaper (25 years) last summer.

Dr Gabriel is excellent. He knows the latest procedures and teaches other Plastic Surgeons. He cares about the patient.