Rhino-Septo-Plasty - Toronto, ON

I've had a deviated septum and enlarged turbinates...

I've had a deviated septum and enlarged turbinates my whole life and always had major problems breathing and sleeping at night due to the reduced airflow. I first sought out an ENT specialist 5 years ago who referred me to Dr. Rival. I took 4 years to think about it because I was always in the midst of school, jobs and not being 100% sure I wanted to undergo the surgery. This year I finally decided to take the leap and fix both my deviated septum, the turbinates, and this bump I have always disliked on my nose. I asked the dr to reduce the hump, give it a straight profile and also narrow out the bridge because it was crooked. My tip also drooped down and was a bit too unstructured so I asked him to pull it up a little bit.

I had my surgery on April 1st, 2016 and I am now 8 days post op. I had a really easy recovery, I felt no pain at all, just pressure and barely had any bruising or major swelling. The first day after surgery i just had two small bruises under my eyes and then the swelling only came day 2-3. Within 4 days of not doing much and just sitting in bed, I stopped taking the pain killers and was able to walk around and do household things. I got my cast off day 6 and was able to walk around outside and resume normal activities. The biggest problems I had were the dry mouth from breathing exclusively through the mouth all day and night. Now that the cast is off I can already feel my breathing is improving, although the insides of my nose are really swollen I probably won't be able to tell for a few more weeks.

The appearance of my nose looks great, it is almost identical to the one that the dr altered on his computer before the surgery to have an idea of what it would look like. The side profile is really straight, the bridge is a lot thinner and straighter and my tip (although swollen) is looking good. Overall, I am really happy with my decision to get this surgery, the esthetic aspect has definitely improved and I’m positive that the breathing will too.

If you have any questions for me feel free to post below!
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Rival, his secretary Nadia and his team at Southlake Newmarket hospital were great, I felt really comfortable with my decision and really at ease with the surgical procedure. He answered all of my questions and didn't get annoyed when I came to see him several times before deciding to do the surgery. The follow up appointment a week later helped me ask more questions about my recovery and what to expect and now I have another appointment in a month to assess the swelling. He was also available by email to answer questions and to send photos. The post op care is easy if you follow the written instructions given in your surgical package. I also found reading some of these reviews helped me know what to expect. I feel I had a much easier recovery than some people I’ve seen on here and so I feel good about having done the surgery, I just wish I did it earlier!