5'5", 205 Lbs, Single Incision Gastric Sleeve, Dr. Fernando Garcia at Tijuana Bariatrics - Mexico

I have surgery scheduled on Monday (12/7/15) for a...

I have surgery scheduled on Monday (12/7/15) for a single incision gastric sleeve, with Dr. Fernando Garcia at Tijuana Bariatrics. I am 5'5" and 200lbs. I started my "pre-op" diet yesterday and I am pretty miserable. 3 protein shakes a day (premier protein) and one salad with light dressing.

Karen is my coordinator at Tijuana Bariatrics and she has been very sweet. I work for a plastic surgeon and will say that Tijuana Bariatrics is a little unorganized but mostly with their pre operative information. Karen has been very helpful, replying to my emails and phone calls very quickly. Their website has loads of information which is also helpful. I will keep everyone updated as much as I can while in Tijuana. Wish me luck! (photos to come soon)

1 week post op

I have to say when you're thinking about having surgery in Mexico it all feels a little uncertain and maybe a little scary. My experience was nothing close to my worst nightmares and exceeded my expectations in a best case scenario. We arrived at San Diego airport on Sunday, December 6. After getting our luggage we called our driver and he was there within 10 minutes. We went to the gas station to refuel because we had one more patient to pick up before heading to Tijuana. The drive was quicker than I thought it would be and our driver pointed out the hospital and other neat spots on the way to our hotel. Once there our Cordinator and nurse Italia helped us check in and then reviewed our paperwork with us. She gave us all the information we needed to know about the hotel, our procedure and our hospital stay. She let us know to meet her in the lobby at 6:45 AM the next morning.

We were picked up promptly after checking out of the hotel and taken straight to the hospital. It was clean modern and the staff was friendly and knowledgeable. First we did blood test, next we did EKGs, then they started an IV and got a settled in our rooms. Everyone had a private room with a closet desk full bathroom TV and a laydown couch for a guest if you have one. We even had Netflix. Wifi was available and made The wait during my surgery tolerable for my boyfriend. I was the third case out of five and I went back at around 11 AM. After surgery I was groggy most of my pain was in my shoulders and chest from the gas they pump in your abdomen. They make you walk for 15 minutes every hour and that really helped. I never needed for anything. They're always right there with anti-nausea, pain meds, anabiotic's and making sure my IV was full was sailine. Starting the day after surgery they gave us Gatorade and ice chips. The only complaint is the bed my boyfriend had to sleep on was very uncomfortable and they did not provide blankets or pillows for him. I spent about three days in the hospital. We did four leak tests in that time. The last one being on Wednesday with x-rays. They also removed our drains which doesn't hurt at all and is the best relief you can get. I started my period which many say is sometimes triggered by the surgery. Also on Wednesday they took us to the hotel and got us checked back in. We had to wait an hour for our room to be ready but luckily the hotel provides two free bowls of broth two bottles of water and a popsicle for free daily. So we went to the restaurant and had a bowl of broth. It was a very nice hotel and the food for my boyfriend he said was very good. Lots of walking distance restaurants as well from the hospital and the hotel which was very easy for Him. On Thursday Junior picked up a few of us and gave us a tour of the town and took us shopping. That was very cool. Friday we woke up early and they drove us to the airport in San Diego. Luckily there is a medical Lane at the border so it took us no time at all to get through. I'm now one week postop about 20 pounds down at on phase 2 of my diet. I'll try to update as much as possible. Wish me luck??

2 weeks post op

New week new diet. I almost skipped the second week diet all together. It was hard. I hate isopure and I'm trying other things. This week I'm also starting my workouts. Got my staples out and it looks better. Starting serums and silicone patches now to get rid of the scars.

6.5 weeks out 35lbs down

Everything's going great! Really having issues getting my vitamins down but trying! Eating 1/4 cup 2-3x a day and a protein shake. (Premier protein) down 35lbs.

The mental part setting in (12 weeks 49lbs)

Almost 50lbs and more than half way to my goal and I'm not seeing it very much. I see the difference but I think I expected 50lbs to be more.... The mental part of this surgery is really getting me down these past couple weeks. But I knew it would. I was told and I read it and I'm prepared. And my loving boyfriend is prepared. We are staying positive and letting my brain catch up on its own time. I just hope that I don't get to my goal and think I'm still fat. At the end of the day I feel healthier and more comfortable and I'm so happy about that! I didn't believe it when people told me I would be happy and sad about my weighloss by now I get it! On a good note, I bought not only a swimsuit but a bikini and I feel ok about wearing it in the house. I'm buying a cover up just in case though. ?????????? (also no more selfies in the mirror. Bad angles bad lighting bad reflections. Let other people take your photos always!)
Dr. Fernando Garcia