27 Y/O, No Kids or Medical Issues, Edges Gone! Traction Alopecia - Mexico, Tijuana

I loss all my edges over 10 years ago when I was...

I loss all my edges over 10 years ago when I was 15 or 16 years old. Like other black females constantly got braids or other harmful hairstyles. After a few years my edges started to thin and eventually disappear all together. I have tried doctor miracle, every oil you can think of, countless shampoos and conditioners and women rogaine. Absolutely nothing would work and I gave up on growing my edges back and started shaving the sides of my head. After awhile I thought to try one more time to grow my hair back. After trying for a year I decided to look into hair transplants. I was quoted $8,000 to have it done in Texas. I checked around and found a clinic in Baja California Tijuana. Originally I was suppose to get 2000 grafts but only 1400 grafts were harvested due to me having curly hair. I will post my one month and two month pic after my post.

Pros: Short recovery time, low cost, little pain
Con: wait time for the hair to grow in

Before the surgery

Here I will post before pictures

1 & 2 Month Post Op

Since I just joined Real Self in almost at 2 months post op but I want to post pictures for people looking for a reference at this time period. Again I received 1400 grafts for my edges.

3 month Post Op

So far so good and I'm starting to see growth. I know it is too early to really see a big difference but going from nothing to something is big for me!!! I use Women's Rogaine and three different oils.

Month 4 Post Op

During month 4 I noticed growth but still thin and seem bald. I think month 4 is challenging since you can see hair but its so thin no one else would notice it and you still seem edgeless. I'm looking forward to month 6 in 2 months and will continue to use the women's Rogaine plus oil.

5 Month update!

I still use woman Rogaine along with leave in conditioner plus vitamin E. The growth seems like a slow process but when I look at my previous pictures I've come a long way.

6 Month UPDATE!!!

If you have been following along with my journey you should know I had a hair transplant to regrow my edges. I feel like 6 months have flown by. I still use women's rogaine and vitamins when I can remember. I feel like my process is slow since I only got 1400 grafts and I had single hairs.

6 Month Review Pics

I'm just posting the pictures

7 Month Update

Hello everyone who is tracking my progess. I am a few days late posting but I did take the pictures on time. There has been a lot of growth!!!! I'm still waiting for it to be completely filled in and thicker but I'm so happy to announce...... I HAVE EDGES!!!! Around month 5 I began to question if it was worth the time, donor area hair loss, and money. I'm so happy that I made my decision and enjoy sharing my journey with everyone.
Gabriela Hernandez Amaya, MD

The doctor was very friendly and willing to answer all questions before and after the procedure. Be sure to ask if you get money back if you don't get all the grafts intended for the procedure.