24 Year Old Guy Rhinoplastic - Sydney, AU

Hi guys, I've been after a rhinoplasty (plus...

Hi guys, I've been after a rhinoplasty (plus associated bells and whistles) for many years for a pronounced hump and associated sinus problems but it seems that work or something always seemed to get in the way. Luckily though I ended up finding Dr Shahidi in Sydney and even though I'm from up in Queensland he seemed to have lots of good reviews and recommendations so I thought I'd give it a go.

From when I met the good Dr he seemed pretty switched on and didn't really give off any of those snake oil salesman vibes which is what I sort of expected from the plastic surgeon types. He also did all the tests, photos, background ect and gave what I believe to be his honest opinion on what would suit my particular face best whilst still taking into account my particular wishes which I thought was very perfessionally done. His staff were in particular very accomodating, easy going and all had rather good noses which I took to be a good sign haha.

As yet I just did the surgery yesterday so hopefully it went ok but I haven't really had much in the way of bruising or pain although I'm a bit blocked up and my eyes watered like crazy which they said was normal.

I've mostly just been having soups, water and pineapple juice at the moment which is pretty alright although when you drink through the straw you can only do a bit at a time which is rather irritating due to pressure build up.

Am a little bit nervous but I guess I'll just see how it goes in a few days.

Cheers,
Jake

I've got the lumps

Either I've been a tad peckish for some bees throughout the night or the swelling just came in a bit late - the 3rd day after the surgery for me. Hopefully all the ice packs will sort that one out. I'm not sure about everyone else but I found the tea bags on the eyes stung a little so I flagged that one early.

Also swelling and the padding makes teeth cleaning a bit of a mission. Counting down the days till I can get the cast off and function like a normal human being again.

3 days after cast off

Hey,
So it's been a couple of days since I got the cast off and flew back up to the Gold Coast, but I'm pretty stoked with the result so far.

Although Dr Shahidi seemed to be very careful, from my lay person perspective, whilst taking the cast off it was still a highly uncomfortable process, especially when the internal splints were taken out. Thankfully though it only took him minutes to complete the job and you get to see your new nose.
It did seem pretty swollen as expected as dr Shahidi refers to it as the "ugly month", and apparently pretty fragile as well so don't expect to do any exercise or meet any social obligations for atleast a month after the cast off consultation. If you accidentally knock the nose it could ruin the result or even collapse, which is pretty horrifying.

As I work as a pilot I must also wait for at least a month before I can go back flying full time as well, however for people flying interstate for the surgery, flying back after the cast off consultation was fine provided no one hits your nose. I made sure I got a letter from the surgeon to state I was fit to fly however as the airline could refuse to take you. I also asked the flight/gate attendant to allow me to board first and leave the airplane last to avoid problems. (Luckily I did as they were a bunch a loud bellends on the flight waving their arms all over the place and sitting around me)

P.S protip:
I iced my face atleast 6 times a day after the surgery until the cast came off and the dr made the comment that I had displayed the least amount of swelling that he had ever seen. I had also done this after getting my wisdom teeth out with the same result. So ice apparently is the shit.

Cheers and good luck