32 Year Old Woman Unhappy with Result of Hair Transplant for Forehead Reduction - Sterling Heights, MI

Dr. Berkowitz didn't actually perform the...

Dr. Berkowitz didn't actually perform the procedure. His arrogant and patronizing technician did. He popped in a few times, and I suppose didn't feel the need to show up at the end of the procedure and thank me for handing over $8000 of my hard-earned money to him. I liked his videos and online presence and the fact that he had been featured on news segments and that he had good reviews overall, so despite a consultation where I felt like my questions were not very welcomed because he had more important things to do (stood up the whole time, talked really fast, body language suggested he had one foot out the door), I decided to ignore my intuition and went ahead and booked with this doctor.

I didn't get what I wanted in terms of where I wanted the hairline to be drawn. During the consult he led me to believe that I would have certain areas covered that I wanted with the number of grafts he quoted. THEN, at the procedure, both he and the tech said where I wanted it to be covered wasn't realistic. Seriously? After I handed over my money. Of course. So, now I have this really awkward line drawn that makes my forehead look square. (I was told that he was an artist when it came to drawing hairlines; I beg to differ.) He told me during the consult that he has a system of checks and balances where he makes sure that the client, he, and the tech are all in agreement as to where the hairline will be drawn specifically. What actually happened was he drew the line in less than 20 seconds and basically said we were ready to get started. He didn’t even consult me as to what I thought of where he drew the final line. At that point I felt defeated, voiceless, and rushed into the surgery. I felt like it was too late to back out; I would lose out on my money.

I specifically told him during the consult that I wanted to feel comfortable with my bangs pulled back and didn't want to feel like my forehead was "big" He said not to worry that I would feel comfortable with my bangs pulled back. Well, on the day of the procedure, after he drew the line, I asked him something along the lines of: "Will my forehead still be perceived to be big?" (because I was thinking it would). He said, "That's something you'll have to get over psychologically. A lot of times people come in trying to look like Kim Kardashian and it's just not realistic." I was extremely offended, and it made me feel really hurt and ugly and embarrassed. What a pompous, insensitive, and careless response. He should have been more clear about what to expect density wise with X number of grafts and how much coverage could be attained. You don't wait until the day of the procedure to tell your client, "Yeah, nope, that's not gonna work."

To reiterate, during the consult, I told him that I didn't want to go through with the procedure if my forehead would still be "big". As a patient, I'm trusting his expertise. When he said it wouldn't, I trusted that. He should have said, "Well what would be big to you?" And did more investigation into my mind and my perception. If more grafts were needed for the coverage I wanted, he should have said so. But, again like I said, he was ready to get out of there. The whole thing was just a big cluster-****. I'll get a second procedure in the future, from a better doctor, who is a better artist and takes the time to communicate expectations and get into the patients head to ensure they will be happy with the result. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that at least what I do have done will grow in fine.

Take aways: Get your hair transplant done by an actual physician who specializes in hair transplants, not one who has good marketing skills and uses non-medically licensed hair techs to perform the procedure from beginning to end. Dr. Berkowitz’s website claims that HE performs these procedures. THIS is not the case; outsourced techs do. His artistry is lacking. His care towards his customers is a joke.

Three days post-op, I contacted a doctor in a different state, who is the gold-standard in hair restoration/transplantation to get an idea of how my hairline could be fixed once everything grows in. I say gold-standard because he is one of the pioneers in advances in the field. I sent him my pics via email. He told me my [new] hairline is a masculine hairline and is not one he would have drawn on a female. He showed me more personal care and concern and spent more time with me in a 20 minute phone conversation than Dr. Berkowitz did from consult to procedure date.

Get your procedure done elsewhere, even if it means spending a bit more money and traveling out of state.
Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon