25, Rhinoplasty - South Portland, ME

Writing this at 6 days post-op, this post is about...

Writing this at 6 days post-op, this post is about my experience prior to the consult and the consult itself.

Summary: Rhinoplasty done: reduced the nostril size, removed (most of, potentially all) the dorsal hump, and pinch the tip together to give it a less bulbous appearance. Recovery has not been nearly as bad as expected. Overall had an excellent experience with Plastic and Hand and Dr. Kutz. Would recommend anyone going there.

Prior to the consult:
Called a few different offices around the state to ask about consultation cost, seeing before and after photos and basic questions. All the consultation costs were about the same, but Plastic and Hand was the most courteous and informative from the initial call. The receptionist recommended I email Dr. Richard Kutz to ask questions. He responded quickly and even said he would take a look at photos of my nose via email prior to a consultation. Was VERY impressed with that. Scheduled a consultation (was able to get in the next week) and paid $105, which was later applied into my overall surgery cost.

Was mailed forms to fill out prior to the consult, so paperwork when I arrived was minimal. The surgery was purely cosmetic, so unsure how billing insurance would change the process. Was offered water and coffee, and only had a short wait. Met the nurse Jenny, who works with Dr. Kutz, and she was incredibly sweet. I gave her some information and then met Dr. Kutz. He was absolutely excellent from the start. Was clear about what he could/couldn't achieve for results with surgery. My goal was a natural looking, but smaller, end result. That seems to be his specialty, so it was a perfect fit. He took pictures for my "Before" and we sat down with them as he explained what he could change. (He explained editing pictures can give a sense of what the nose will look like, but photo editing software doesn't take into account how the nose is structured, therefore, not everything that can be edited can actually be done.) He answered all of my questions while being personable, funny, professional and incredibly knowledgable. Walked out of the room ready to book.

Sat in the waiting room for a few minutes until we met with Bonnie (again, excellent, as all the staff are) to receive the quote. Starting tearing up right in her office that I would finally be getting a rhinoplasty!

Before photos

5 hours post-op

One day post-op

Felt okay! Pain was not nearly as bad as expected. Not bruising yet, and was feeling very lucky I felt as good as I did! Tired, no appetite, but assuming that was from the meds. Took Tylenol every 8 hours, and was taking 5 mg Oxycodone as needed- normally 1 every 6 hours or so. Max was 2 every 4.

Day 3 post-op

Slight bruising, cheeks red from icing so much. Day 3 I felt the worst, but really still wasn't that bad. Still taking Tylenol and took one Oxy every 4 hours or so. Had trouble sleeping (nurse said it could be from the meds). Forgot to mention I did not need to use even one drip pad. The nurse took it off at the surgery center because I didn't like the feel, and I never needed one after! Not hungry at all, and tired, but still was surprised overall how good I felt! Nose was very sensitive and ice really helped.

Splint off!

Day the splint came off and stitches out! I felt a bit sick to my stomach while they were coming out, but nerves + having scissors in my nostrils was probably why that happened. Very swollen. Dr. Kutz said more swollen than most. Small whiteheads all over my nose, which he said to expect as a result of it being in the splint. Was so excited already! Cried in the chair and hugged Dr. Kutz. Going back in November for pictures and follow-up.

10 Days Post

Feeling great!! Happy with the results already and friends and family are shocked surgery was 10 days ago! Felt ready to go back to work after a week, but gave myself two extra days. The straight on picture I used make up to contour, but looks so fantastic even without. Especially happy about the width of the tip when smiling. If you look carefully at the side-to picture, you can see a faint red line, which is were my nostril was cut. Have been putting lots and lots of antibiotic ointment on and in my nostrils. No issues breathing, no funny smelled (which Dr. Kits said may happen), still some tenderness but getting better by the day. Haven't taken any meds since day 7 post op. Excited to see what it looks like in a few weeks! Side by side comparison of before and after while smiling.

Before vs 3 wks post

Portland Plastic Surgeon

Would absolutely recommend Dr. Kutz and Plastic and Hand to anyone, I cannot say enough positive things about him, all of the staff, and my experience. Every employee is professional, knowledgable, and friendly. When explaining what I wanted, Dr. Kutz listened, understood and explained how/what he could do to achieve that result in a simple, straightforward and realistic way. At only 11 days post op, I'm thrilled with the results- and thanks to Dr. Kutz, no longer feel insecure and think about my nose constantly, as I have done for the past ten years! Cannot thank him and all of the staff enough.