My Journey - Charlotte, NC

I took the next step. I have been researching for...

I took the next step. I have been researching for years and I've been a member of RealSelf for some time. So the next step was the consultation. We talked about my expectations and talked about reality. I knew at that moment that the next step was moving forward. In two days I will have my procedure.

Day 3

I don't remember any part of getting home, but I went to bed as soon as I got home.
Day 1, I was so tender and in moderate pain. Everything was so tight. Day 2, I drained a lot of fluids, so I tried to keep myself hydrated, moving, but also resting.
Day 3, the bruises are coming in. I was up all night itching. I think it was the pain killers. Still very sore. No regrets. I go do a follow-up today. I'm looking forward to seeing my final results in the late Fall or Winter.

1 Week and 1 Day

At 1 week, I was draining constantly. I was really swollen and super tender. I quit taking pain meds after five days and haven't needed them since. I got my drain out from my crack. That is much more comfortable. The stitches from the entry under the butt and on my back itch. I drive and try to do an activity once a day for a few hours. It completely exhausts me. I've found that drinking water is my best friend and I'm not a water fan. The tummy tuck is definitely uncomfortable. And this compression garment. I empathize with women. I understand how uncomfortable sitting on a pad for days can be.
To keep it real, I was able to resume sexual activities on day six. Just be careful and not too rough.

2 Weeks and 2 Days

I feel great. I'm a little tender around the tuck area. My butt has stopped being sore. The stitches under each butt cheek from the BBL have fallen out. My chest tuck has healed almost fully. My new belly button still has some healing, but it's looking good. I still drain even without the tube. Twice a day. And I still have to wear maternity pads. Not glamorous. I can't fit into a single our of my pants. I'm still far too swollen. I haven't worked for the last two weeks. I'm heading back to work tomorrow. I spend my days in this compression garment with my pad and gym shorts. I wash twice a day and change out garments to wash the crusty blood off of the inside. It gets itchy. My tummy tuck is healing up. It's tender when the seatbelt rubs it. I ball up a sock between me and the lap belt. I'm tired of taking so many pills, but my body definitely needs it. Also, I was always a guy who was hot natured. Now, I get chilly pretty easily. I have to make sure that I eat red meat every day or two or I will start feeling weak and becoming pale.
I would love to be less swollen, I honestly don't know what I am going to wear. I have one pair of dress pants that are this big.

Week 3

I feel so much better. A lot of selling has gone down and I have dropped 10-15lbs since surgery. I can wear my pants again and I have moved down a size in shirts. I have moved down to the medium compression garment because the large was getting loose in spots and rubbing me.
My tummy tuck hasn't healed all the way and it is still leaking a little goo. My drain hole between my butt cheeks has healed up and so I am swelling a little due to the fluids. I refilled my antibiotics to ensure a healthy recovery. I quit putting Aquaphor on my tummy tuck wound to allow it a better chance to dry. Standing up and sitting hurts the tuck as it stretches and contracts.
My energy level is almost back up. I try to take in red meat every few days.
I can sleep on my sides now with putting pillows beside me to help hold my belly in place. Everything in my stomach area is so tender. Shirts feel weird on my skin and every sensation is very intense. The compression garment is my protection.
My lymph nodes on my chest, under my arms, on my sides, and various other places are swollen and tender.

Week 3

My energy level is almost back up. I try to take in red meat every few days.

4 Weeks

Life is almost back to normal. My tummy has almost closed all of the way. I have decided to continue wearing the compression garment until it has closed completely. The only part that hasn't closed is right at the center. There is still some slight swelling and numbness in my chest.
I'm back to my regular activities at full speed.
Truthfully, the only uncomfortable part is standing and sitting. The garment runs the tuck right at the center where it is still healing. Also, my pubes growing back in catch in the fabric and that has an awkward sensation. If I put my hand over that spot, it helps reduce that movement when sitting and standing.
I can wear all of my clothes again, but I have to be careful to not have pants that push that tender spot.
I saw my whole family for the first time this last week. Everyone commented that I was skinnier. That was a nice feeling. My dad noticed that I had something on when he put his hand on my shoulder. I told him that it was a compression garment and he didn't ask for any additional information. Though I can see the Velcro shoulder straps, they aren't as noticeable to others. I'm hoping to be completely healed up and out of the garment completely by the weekend.

5 Weeks

Well, I tried to go without my compression suit for a few days. It didn't turn out well. I hadn't completely healed and so the waist of my boxers briefs and pants really dug into me. Also, my adult life may have put a bit of strain on my abdomen, as well. I tried to clean the area well and I'm trying to help it heal better. I had hoped that it would have closed up by now, but my activities have probably hindered that. I also taped the incision closed to keep it from opening and stretching as I sit and stand.
My belly button has pretty much healed along with all of the other incisions.
I can tell that I have some swelling in my chest and lower back.
I'm just ready to be healed up. I can deal with the swelling, but this open wound needs to go ahead and close.
Charlotte General Surgeon

Allison, Noelle, and Dr Sherie were all very kind. Allison made me feel like an old friend when I walked in the door. Noelle and I talked real talk and did some planning. Dr Sherie and I talked about expectations and what was realistic. I knew that I had come to the right place.