I decided to try the Fraxel laser. - So Far So Good - Huntsville, AL

Sort by:
*Treatment results may vary

I am 51 and have slight crow's feet, lines around...

I am 51 and have slight crow's feet, lines around my mouth, sagging jaws and brownspots.  I am too chicken to have a facelift but it might eventually come to that --ha.  After much research and a consultation with my doctor, I decided to try the Fraxel laser. 

I had the Fraxel Re:store last Friday at a board certified plastic surgeon's office.  Procedure was performed by the doctor's nurse who I had been informed has extensive training in the use of the laser.  The numbing gel was put on my face for 1 hour prior to procedure.  Eight passes were done on each area of my face -- 2 passes vertical; 2 passes horizontal; 2 more passes vertical and a final 2 passes horizontal.  There was very cold air blowing on each area as the laser was being used.  There was very little discomfort.  I could feel my face swelling before the end of the session.

I was given instruction to go home, place a wash cloth in a bowl of water and ice and place on my face every 30 minutes for a few hours and before bedtime.  I left the washcloth on each time until it became room temperature.  I was also told to sleep with my head elevated.  These things were suppose to alleviate some of the swelling.

I live about 30 minutes away from the doctor's office and my face really started to sting half-way home.  I almost panicked thinking this was what I was in for the rest of the day.  The nurse had given me an ice pack.  I put that on and it relieved the discomfort until I got home.  As soon as I arrived home, I did the washcloth thing on and off  for 2 hours and took a couple of Advil tablets and went to sleep for the remainder of the afternoon.  Saturday there was a little swelling and redness but not as much as I had expected -- I actually went to a play in the late afternoon.

Sunday and today, my face seems a little more red and feels as if I have a windburn and there is very little swelling.  I put my makeup on, went to work today and no one seemed to notice anything.  Late this afternoon I started to feel the flaking which I was told to expect.

Overall, my first procedure was good.  I have 3 more scheduled (1 per month).  The nurse did tell me they get a little more intense each time so if I felt I couldn't handle the pain/discomfort, she would prescribe me a pill to take beforehand but that I would have to have someone drive me to and from the visit.  I will probably try without the Rx on the 2nd procedure.  Also for my second visit, I think I will pack a cooler with washcloths, ice and water for the drive home.

I will post after my 2nd treatment and let you know how it goes.

Was this review helpful? {{ voteCountOthers + ' other' + (voteCountOthers == 1 ? '' : 's') }} found this helpful