Hated Eye Bags for 10 Years - Silkwood, AU

I under went a lower blepharoplasty for my eye...

I under went a lower blepharoplasty for my eye bags. I was considering a transcutaneous lower bleph but due to the risks of scar tissue healing, lid issues I decided my risk tolerance was not that high. I went for a transconjunctival lower bleph with skin pinch and mid face fat transfer. My concern was that I was not taking the most rejuvenative approach but i wanted to er on the side of caution and I was very nervous as I don't really like change. But this bothered me for long enough. The process, for me was difficult I kept seeing issues and then felt very down wondering if I would look like myself again. Now I think I do but a new and refreshed version. I an posting my whole experience as I have found this site very comforting during the tough times and hope to help someone else out and thank you to the doctors who answered my questions in the early phase of recovery it gave me a lot of comfort along with the amazing staff at my surgeons office.

Surgery day

These are the surgery day pictures. I really didn't have any pain a little discomfort but I took the pain meds and sleeping tablets to keep myself rested.

Week 1

Sorry my dates are all wrong I'm posting all my experience all at once. I had surgery 13th September 2016. These pictures are my first week bruising wasn't too bad but my swelling was quite a lot. I think for me I was not expecting my eyes to look so weird and towards the end of the first week I was getting very anxious about regretting surgery. However apparently this can happen. At this stage I was freaking out that my lids were away from my eye and thick - but of course I only had surgery 1 week ago but it's hard to believe it will be ok.

10 - 14 days post surgery

These were the worst days for me I thought my right eye was damaged ie it was dropping a bit and my left eye was so small. At two weeks I just couldn't see how I would ever look like me - I now know this is still way too early to judge. My face was still quite swollen from the fat transfer and my eyes still didn't look like me. One thing I was so impressed with was my stitches on the lower eye you could barely see them even before they were taken out and at 2 weeks I had to search to find the incision lines. The skill my surgeon has is obviously amazing.

Nearly 5 weeks Post

I am now very happy with my results maybe a bit of the fat transfer to still subside as I'm still a bit swollen on the left side. I still need the swelling completely subside and my eyes to completely settle which could be around 3 months. I need to make sure I'm not a little hollow but I don't think I will be as I still change a little each week. Right now I am thrilled with my results and feel so fresh.

Journey

Not sure I mentioned I am 47 and still expect imperfections and wrinkles but overall I feel so much fresher. However, this experience -for me - was an extreme emotional roller coaster. During my healing process and especially when I felt so scared that I would never look like me again only then you realise how lucky you were in the first place. I think surgery is a powerful tool but I think the healing times and emotional process, by me, was underestimated. I'm still healing and will post once the results have finally settled. This site has been a valuable source of information for me and I hope this review can help someone during the "panic" times!

Side view before surgery

Here, in this before surgery you can see I didn't have a great lid cheek transition - my surgeon fixed this as well as bags.

6 weeks post and 8 weeks

These are before and after from my surgeon - it's very subtle and now looks so much fresher. The last few are 8 weeks and it seems to keep settling nicely. Apart from the ups and downs in the recovery phase I highly recommend this procedure I'm now very happy and thankful for my result.
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Dr Nettle is extremely professional and quite patient as I am sure I tested this! There where moments of frustration for me and I'm sure my surgeon due to my indecision (my prerogative as its my face) but I would not have gone anywhere else - I wanted the best and I believe I got it. I must say Dr Nettle was still accommodating of me even though I changed direction even when he was marking my face up. He also offered me an extra procedure when he marked up my face and he noticed an area where he could improve. The girls especially Cherieve were wonderful in my freak out moments - thank you.