Fixing my Ears and Helping my Self-Image - Schererville, IN

I was 15 years old and just starting my freshman...

I was 15 years old and just starting my freshman year of high school. For my whole life people called me names like Elf, Elephant ears, things that would mortifying any girl growing up. I remember holding back tears as even my closest friends would poke fun at me. This part of me bothered me my whole life. I never put my hair up in a pony tail unless I had to, I was nervous when people played with my hair, and I felt like I couldn't wear hats without it accentuating my ears. I just wanted to be "normal."
When it continued to affect me, even in high school, my mom agreed to take me to see a plastic surgeon, and if this was going to happen, she only wanted the best person both for consultations and in the operating room. We found Dr. Galante because he was the highest rated plastic surgeon in the Region. Consultations were always very friendly and uplifting, plus all staff at the Schererville location were accommodating and sweet. I was assured that my ears wouldn't be just "sewn to my head" as I had once thought was my only other option, and I was assured that my visions of "normal ears" were the image I would get. When I went to the surgical center later on, the nurses that took care of me were top notch. I was given warm blankets and they were very comforting about my fears. I woke up very nauseous, but only because the nausea patch normally given to patients is usually placed behind the ear, so I was not able to have the patch during my surgery. I had a wrap on my head for a week, with only minor discomfort after the first day.
When the wrap came off I was amazed at the way they looked. I remember the exact feeling and how they looked even though it was over 4 years ago. I was completely amazed. A little scared because they were still a little swollen and red, Dr. Galante assured me the redness/swelling would go down within a couple weeks, and I was instructed to wear a headband for protection for the following couple weeks.
Like I said, my surgery was 4 years ago, and my ears are a part of me. It's not something I even think about on a daily basis, and I think that's what makes for a great plastic surgery. I look the way I have always wanted to look. I am so grateful that I was able to have the surgery, and the process couldn't have gone smoother.
Some notes: The surgery did leave some nerves damaged in my ears so in the cold I have to be careful to keep my ears covered at extreme cold temperatures. I sometimes don't feel the cold or pain until I am inside, but it can be pretty intense. Easily avoided with a hat or headband--this possibility was addressed in the consultations prior to surgery.
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Galante was very personable and professional. I felt very comfortable sharing my concerns with him, and he followed my vision for myself perfectly. Some doctors can be dull and overassertive, but Doctor Galante was very real and talked over every concern I had in depth. This is such a good characteristic, especially for a surgeon, because it is so important to establish trust so that I could go through with the surgery without fear of anything going wrong. Everything you could want in a surgeon!