49 Y/o Nonsmoker. DDD to C. Be Careful and PLAN for Recovery!!!!! - Savannah, GA

I'll spare my history, as it's very similar to...

I'll spare my history, as it's very similar to most on here. The main reason I'm posting is because I made a calculation mistake that I hope others don't make. My surgery went great, my doctor was wonderful, my breast are gorgeous, but my recovery time has been MUCH rougher than anticipated. I am 4 1/2 weeks post op and only back to work 2 days per week. I anticipate this will be my schedule for another month. I had planned on taking off a week as recommended, but was out of work 3 1/2 weeks. Note I have a long commute, (car rides are NOT forgiving of breast reductions) which is a factor. Still very swollen, incisions are clean but have a strong "burning" feeling still and continued sharp pains. My doctor says this is normal, and is just healing taking its course. Still on occasional pain meds. Lower back pain from having to sleep on my back is insane. Happily, though, the headaches and shoulder pain I had pre-surgery vanished the day after my operation!

The moral of my story is to hope for the best, but be prepared both financially and lifestyle wise (i.e., kids, pets, housework, work commitments, travel, etc) if, for whatever reason, recovery goes longer than expected. I am glad I had the surgery, I think the ultimate results will be wonderful, but wish I would've had a clearer understanding of just how rough this recovery process might be.

Miserable....

5 weeks post op and I feel like a beached whale. Don't know if it's swelling, laying around, or what, but I am huge. None of my clothes fit anymore, it's depressing. My boobs are the only thing on me that look great. Beginning to wonder if it was worth it. Has anyone else experienced anything similar this far out after surgery?

7 weeks post op

Doing better, I finally had to deal with the reality that my diet and lack of activity have been contributing to my swollen midsection more than I thought. Trying to drink more water, move more and eat better, which is helping.

The breasts are gorgeous...still swollen and sharp pains but managing with Advil. Can now lie on my side for 5-10 minutes at a time, which is exhilarating!

Nine weeks post op and super happy!

The past two weeks have really led to being able to function rather normally. I've started lightly back at the gym and can sleep comfortably on my side almost all night. LOVE MY BREASTS!!!! This is the first time in almost 50 years I can describe them as "perky." I can walk around the house with no bra and feel great. They look a lot better than the rest of my body, hence my trips to the gym lol. Using scar cream daily, visually they don't bother me although they itch sometimes. Headaches, pinched nerves, and neck pain have disappeared. Although my recovery was rough and felt like forever, this has been one of the best decisions of my life, and I wish I hadn't waited so long to have it done. My doctor was wonderful and I highly recommend him.

One Year Later and I'm THRILLED!

Surgery was a year ago, and I am so happy I made the decision for a reduction. I went from a DDD to a C, my neck and shoulder pain that was prominent before surgery has completely disappeared. I haven't worn an underwire bra in a year, and I can wear button-down shirts without looking like I'm exploding out of them!

Only problem is that I've gained about 10 pounds just by being lazy, but it hasn't really affected my cup size. Scarring is and will always be there, but it's not overwhelming and doesn't look bad. The doctor did an amazing job masking the scars into my natural body contours. My doctor William Dascombe in Savannah and his team were awesome and I would recommend him to anyone considering this surgery.
William Dascombe

Dr Dascombe is known for his surgical artistry and I got several recommendations from former patients before I booked my appointment. He is happy to answer any questions and his gentle manner puts you right at ease. He was very conscientious throughout the entire process and did an incredible job. He even called me at home the day after surgery to check on me. His staff were wonderful, knowledgeable, and supportive as well.