Not a Video Vixen—But a Fit & Fabulous Real Woman - Dominican Republic

There is nothing wrong with looking like a video...

There is nothing wrong with looking like a video vixen—I think they look pretty hot, actually--but that was not the look I was going for. I wanted to get surgery so I could be my best self—not so I could look like a celebrity or Instagram girl. I consider my surgery to be a private decision. I didn’t want a doctor who would want me to like them on facebook or follow them on twitter, call me “mami” or refer to me as a “doll” or a member of their “team.”

I also consider my surgery to be a very serious medical decision. My first pregnancy left me with not one but two hernias and severely separated stomach muscles. If men gave birth and had their bodies go through what pregnancy does to women’s bodies, I am quite sure that the patronizingly named “mommy-makeover” would be completely covered by insurance.

I had a very good previous experience with plastic surgery when I was in my 20’s (breast augmentation) so I knew what I wanted from a plastic surgeon. And I had confidence that I would do the best research I could to find a doctor who was the right fit.
My decision to go to the Dominican Republic was based on a sense of shared aesthetics rather than price: when I look at the work that US surgeons perform, I do not see a high level of expertise with feminine curves or an appreciation of the fact that not all woman think that skinny is the end goal.

I’m a 42 year old professional mother of two beautiful girls. I think there are many ways to be beautiful. This is the way that I chose what is beautiful for me.
Dominican Republic Plastic Surgeon

As I mentioned before, I knew exactly what I was looking for in a plastic surgeon: someone who was discrete, who would err on the side of being conservative, who had a deep appreciation for aesthetics in everything they did, obsessive attention to detail and slightly perfectionistic tendencies. The fact that Dr. Fernandez Goico studied at the Pitanguy Institute was a clear indication to me that he is deeply committed to his work and to professional excellence in his field. Dr. Luis Fernandez Goico’s website, office and demeanor, both in person and via email were all very strong indicators to me that he would be the best fit for me. The excellent, clean, modern design of the office, the thoughtful selection of the smallest details like the kind of paper stock he chooses for his business cards, the wallpaper in his consultation bathroom, the cups and saucers that coffee is served to his clients in—all of these details were signals to me that he had the mindset that I was looking for in a surgeon. Dr. Fernandez Goico really shines, though, in after-care. He is rigorous, disciplined and steady and he expects the same from his clients. He uses only the massage practitioner that he works with in his practice. He has opinions on everything from the types of tubes used for drainage to the best post-surgical garment brand for his clients. The last thing I want to say about Dr. Fernandez Goico is that he manages to be as precise and exacting as I have described—but he is also incredibly warm and comforting. Surgery of this nature is serious. You will be in stitches. You will be uncomfortable. You will be tired, but unable to sleep. You will be prodded and poked when you want to be left alone. You will have to ask for help to go to the bathroom. You will, at some point, be in tears. You will wonder why in the world you decided to do this to yourself. In short, Shit. Gets. Real. And in those moments, there is no doctor I would rather have by my side than Dr. Luis Fernandez Goico.