45 Year Old Gets First Microlaser Peel. San Marcos, TX

I had my first microlaser peel performed today at...

I had my first microlaser peel performed today at 15 microns which is not very strong. 10 is the lowest level according to my dermatologist. The procedure itself took about 30 minutes and the although it did hurt some the pain was tolerable overall. However, after I was done my face felt like it was on fire. It burnt so bad. Describing it like a bad sun burn doesn't quite cut it. It's a lot worse than a bad sun burn. The pain did go away after about an hour and I felt pretty good for the rest of day taking Acetaminophen-Cod #3, Doxycycline and Acyclovir to prevent the outbreak of possible cold sores. I guess that's only necessary if you have a history of cold sores cause by herpes simplex.
Now that the day has progressed my face is very swollen, especially around my eyes. I look terrible and I am not feeling all that great anymore either. The pain is tolerable, but it is just the swelling and the discomfort of having raw and very sensitive skin. It should be interesting to see what I will look like tomorrow.
I got the treatment mainly for the wrinkles and fine lines around my eyes and to even out the skin tone on my cheeks.

Day2

I slept pretty well last night although I am not used to sleeping on my back, but it wasn't all that bad. No pain.
I woke up with a lot of swelling around my eyes which to me is the most uncomfortable part right now. My face feels very swollen.
I went to my doctor's office and they cleaned off my face and my doc had a quick look at me and said everything looks "normal" and that I will be healing fast.
She told me to clean my face with a water/vinegar solution every two hours and continue to use the aquaphor.

I recommend not wearing your favorite T-shirt like I did when having greasy stuff all over your face. Too bad, but that shirt is is trash I guess.

15 Microns is really not that deep but as you can see in my pictures I am already peeling a little bit on my cheeks. This is a pretty hefty procedure, nothing like a chemical peel... this is some REAL STUFF so I am hoping that I will also see some REAL results.

Little humor

At least I have not lost my sense of humor.
Day 2 still:
My 16-year old son comes home from I trip and sees me for the first time since I got my Microlaser Peel. He says: "Oh my gosh what is wrong with you? Why does your face look so bad?"
Me:" I had a microlaser peel."
Him:" Geesh I really hope that you are getting your money back!" Ha ha ... My skin feels a little tight when I laugh... but I thought it was still funny. I told him that I would look younger than his 17-year old girlfriend once I am done peeling. He didn't believe me. :)

Day 3

The swelling has gone done quite a bit, but my skin feels really itchy today and I starting to feel bothered by this icky, sloppy aquaphor stuff. I washed it off earlier and left it off for a while ... my skin started feeling really tight once it got dry so I put it back on. :(
It looks like I am peeling ( see picture) ... hopefully these brown spots will be gone soon.
Last night I took a bath and washed my hair. That was nice to get all that jelly stuff out of hair.
I am starting to wonder if went strong enough on my on my skin.... 15 microns is really not that much and I don't look nearly as bad as some of the other pictures I have seen on here. My doctor said that is quite normal to have bleeding spots on your face if you go high on the laser. I didn't have any of that. I PROBABLY could have handled 20. Not sure. I am just worried that now my results wont' be as good because I tried to take it "too easy."

Looking back to my procedure now I'd say that on a pain level scale of 10 the procedure was probably a 7 or 8, but when I left the office it hurt the most. My face felt like it was on fire. Definitely a 10 for the first hour after the procedure.
I recommend having a fan with cool air blow right at your face for a while. Au... that really hurt. It did get better pretty quickly though and I haven't felt much pain since then. Just discomfort.
Was it worth it? Not sure yet.
Would I do it again? Well my doctor said that I can have one done every 6 months and I told her that I probably won't. :)
Dr. Rodriguez

I love my doctor. She is really great!