50 Year Old African American Woman with Thinning Hair in Crown - San Francisco, CA

I am a 50 year old woman who's hair started...

I am a 50 year old woman who's hair started thinning a few years ago. I've always been able to cover the thin spot with different hairstyles but a year ago it got really bad. I decided to go to Bosley(in the San Francisco area)for a hair transplant after researching and liking what I saw online from other patients. After a consultant & qualifying for financing-I made an appointment and got the procedure done. It wasn't really painful but took all day.(they did feed you & provided movies for me to watch) They numb your scalp, cut out a strip, extract the follicles, cut slits in the bald area, & "transplant" the hair follicles to those slits. The only really painful part was the initial numbing shots. But after the first few doses-I really only felt tugs & pulls. Towards the end, I started feeling a little pain so they had to numb me up some more. When they were done, they gave me my pain meds, care instructions, slapped a hat on my head, & sent me in my way. Sleeping that night was uncomfortable/slightly painful & I bled a bit. But I followed the aftercare instructions to a tee & even went back to have them wash my hair for me.(which is optional) Weeks go by & I assume everything is going fine. Then...the dreaded SHOCK LOSS hit. All the hair around the transplant area fell OUT!! I tried not to panic because I had read about this happening but it was still distressing! So I started using Rogaine(which was suggested by the Dr.)and tried not to worry. But the more I looked at it-the worse it seemed...so I just stopped looking!! I wore hats & wigs and washed, & conditioned my hair and just tried to live a healthy life! Then one day my hair seemed to be filling in but I didn't wanna get my hopes up and obsess over it...Then one day, after my stylist removed a weave, that I had installed around my transplanted area, I noticed significant growth!! Yippee!! My transplanted area was finally filling in!! So now it's been about 6 months and I'm well on my way! I'm very excited to see how it all looks in another 6 months! So all in all-I'd say so far-it's all been worth it! And I'd highly recommend this procedure for any woman who is experiencing hair loss or thinning.

7 months post transplant

So I've worn a protective style(a weave)over the past 2 months(took it down after one month) and put it back in....I just took it out and this is my now 7 months post procedure. I have a Bosley appointment on Feb. 16th at the 8th month mark. I'll post more pictures then plus a picture with my hair actually styled by my stylist....????

8 month update

Sooooo....it's been 8 months! My new hair is a little over an inch long but still "thin."(should of pulled up a sprig to show you the length) It does however give me more "coverage" than I had before so I'm happy with that!! I have read that the new hair will eventually thicken-so I'm looking forward to seeing how things turn out over the next few months......oh & I did have a Bosley follow up appointment that I had to push to next month....I'll do another update to let you all know what the Dr. actually says about my progress.

9.5 months post hair transplant

1 of 2 videos

9 month update

I'm happy! 9 month update....I'm excited! Hair is growing. Had my checkup & was told everything looks great & that I can look forward to the hair shafts getting thicker over the next few months....yay!
Dr. Terrence Aragoni

The Doctor was very reassuring & knowledgeable! The nurses were nice & helpful! Financing easy. Overall the entire staff was fantastic!