Saline Subcision for Rolling Acne Scars - San Diego, CA

I recently completed my third treatment of Saline...

I recently completed my third treatment of Saline Subcision for rolling scars from Dr. Chen. I have suffered primarily from hormonal acne, so most of my acne scars were around my chin area and mouth. So far I am pretty happy with the results! I would say that after the third treatment I see a 50% improvement in the appearance of my rolling scars. It is important to mention that collagen remodeling happens for about a year, so the full benefits of the treatment won't be fully visible until another 6 months or so. I chose Dr. Chen over other dermatologists because he has a more conservative approach that resonates with my personal belief. I was formerly a pre-med student and I know too much about the possible complications that can result from laser treatments, especially if you are not a Fitzpatrick Level I skin, (aka very fair). These include increased scarring, hyper and hypo pigmentation changes, orange-peel skin, and even fat loss. Yes you read that right, I said fat-loss, that's volume loss in your face. I know many dermatologists are adamant about admitting this especially when they are trying to sell you on the most expensive treatment available out there (laser), but it's important that you do your research and take into account your skin type and skin color before jumping on this option. Unfortunately, the most expensive and risky treatment, is NOT always the most effective. If you read through some of these realself reviews, you'll find many people who have experienced very adverse results from these more aggressive approaches.

When it comes to skin, I think the most conservative approach is the most effective. I was happy to find a dermatologist that doesn't oversell me on anything, is cautious and meticulous with his approach, and most importantly...Won't expose me to unnecessary risk to get me the results and improvement I am looking for. I will continue to see Dr. Chen for all of my future cosmetic needs.

It's been over a year since I've had the saline subcision!

Overall I am "pleased" with the results from the saline subcision I had. I think the overall improvement of my rolling acne scars was about 20% post treatment. It's definitely a nice addition to a "multi-modality" approach for the resolution/improvement of some acne scars. With all that being said, I am currently seeing another dermatologist that can employ a much more aggressive treatment approach. She is Dr.Fabi at cosmetic laser dermatology in San Diego, CA.

I have to admit that I got bigger and greater results from belotero injections (hyaluronic acid filler) than I did from the actual saline subcision. Dr.Fabi will also do "traditional subcision" followed by fraxel re:pair. The combined improvement of my acne scars from both the saline sibcision and fillers are at 50%, with some smaller ones completely "gone. " Hopefully with the traditional subcision (more aggressive) and the fraxel re:pair it should bump me up to an 80% improvement.

Dr.Fabi was also slightly dissapointed by the saline sibcision as some deep tethered scars need to be revisited with traditional subcision. The "saline" was not strong enough to cut those deeply tethered scars.

At the moment I do not have before/after photos because I was so self conscious about my skin that I avoided photos at all costs. I will however take before/after photos before my subcision/fraxel re:pair with Dr.Favi :-)

Thanks for reading!!! My laser treatment will be done September 2016.
San Diego Dermatologist

Great Dermatologist for Acne Scar Treatment!