25 Y/o Female Labiaplasty of the Labia Minora - San Diego, CA

My procedure was for labia minora reduction. My...

My procedure was for labia minora reduction. My labia was dark along the edges, with uneven sides (one side having a cluster of tissue that was bigger than the other). The uneven sides caused period blood to always stain my underwear, so I had to put my pad towards the side. It also somewhat interfered with intercourse, as I had to move the lump of tissue out of the way as it would get caught. My goal was a smaller, neater labia without the darkest edges, so I chose Dr. Pousti to do my surgery.

Reference photos

Reference photos for how I wanted the outcome to look. The overall skin color will obviously not change, just the color of the outer edge, shape, and size of the labia.

Pre-op

Day 0 (Post-op)

The anesthesia went super smooth, no panic or confusion when I woke up. Not much swelling immediately after procedure (sorry, couldn't find photos). A LOT of nausea, even with anti-nausea medication. I threw up everything I attempted to eat that day...

Day 1

The worst day in terms of swelling. Still fairly numb, and had to walk very carefully. I slept most of the day and took opioid painkillers. The suture line was bleeding fairly heavily so I had an XL pad on and lots of ice, on and off.

Day 3

Some increased swelling along the clitoral hood. The numbness is gone, pain was probably the worst today. Lots of stinging/burning/cutting pains, so more Tylenol and resting all day.

Day 4

More clitoral hood swelling - it almost looks like a bulb. Mostly bed rest, although I am walking around the hotel more at this point.

Day 5

The swelling seems to have reached a peak and from today on, subsides slowly day by day. The pain is starting to ease as well, and I'm getting the occasional tingling/stabbing pain as my nerves start recovering. I am walking around the hotel and took my first shower with antibacterial soap.

Day 6

I went for a checkup with the doc and nurses. They examined the labia area and answered all of my questions. I did have less swelling than many patients. There were no complications or infections near the sutures. At this point I still do not know how the outcome will turn out, and the labia is usually very uneven and bumpy right after the procedure. I am happy that the doc removed a mole near my labia and also helped reduce the size of my clitoral hood at no additional cost. This was also my last day before the flight home, so they gave me flowers - and how could you go wrong with that?!

Day 7

One last photo before the updates get farther and farther apart. This was after the flight home, which thankfully did not cause much swelling. The edge around the sutures are starting to turn a bright tender red, which may be due to healing and new tissue growth. There is also a mysterious grey edge at the bottom, which I was told was not a concern..

Day 9

Some further swelling 2 days later, and the mysterious grey edges near the bottom persist. I am noticing less pain and more tingling/itching, but overall I am able to go back to relatively sedentary work with occasional walking.

6 Months Later and Unsatisfied...

Its been over 6 months (majority of the healing has completed), and this is the final result. Very asymmetrical, with the (my) left side mostly chopped off. I really would like to know how it ended up like this (I did all the proper aftercare), since a couple months ago it looked like it was healing in the right direction. Honestly would like a revision.

Happy at last, and still healing!

Dr. Pousti did a beautiful job revising his original work. The day of the consultation, we had clear expectations and photos/drawings on my labia, and he went to work. I was awake and did not feel a thing - but those numbing shots to the area that REALLY does not ever wish nor expect to get poked were not fun. The only tip I would have is to widen the operation table or add stirrups (like at the OB/GYN), as the worst part of the op was keeping my frog legs in place (I was getting borderline charlie horses towards the end). I think the biggest success was his desire to make both sides symmetrical but not take off too much off. He took off dark colored skin areas on both sides and the result (see photo) is still in progress, as the left side in the photo is a bit lumpy because it is still healing, I was told. Will update a month or so out.

p.s. Also special thanks to the ladies who helped make me feel comfortable and called me every single day until they discontinued after they kept reaching my voicemail...I'm an awful patient! Always too busy to answer, but the flip side is I don't fret about whats going on down there - it was a brief recovery but it always takes a long time to see final results...
San Diego Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Pousti was direct about the procedure. I chose him due to favorable reviews, and his sense of aesthetics in terms of his previous patient's results. He is very prudent in not removing too much tissue. He was careful to make sure he understands exactly what I wanted, and is open to pictures/drawings/photos/ideas that I brought with me, so there was absolutely no confusion about the expectations before the operation. He and his staff follow up on patients consistently, and the prescriptions (which are picked up downstairs) and other paperwork were a breeze. They gave me a lovely vase of flowers when I left!