Not Getting A Good Feeling - San Antonio, TX

I signed up for Smile Direct Club a little over a...

I signed up for Smile Direct Club a little over a month ago. I received my impression kit and very meticulously made my impressions. They looked perfect, just like their example photos of "good impressions". I mailed off my impressions and heard back about 2 weeks later (yesterday). I received a call from Gavin at Smile Direct Club saying he had good news - they'd received my impressions, they'd been approved by the orthodontic staff and he wanted to make sure my credit card information on file was correct so that we could get my aligners into production and get my treatment started. Then this morning, I receive an email saying that my impressions were "bad" due to a "dual impression", meaning one or more teeth was impressed into the putty twice, which occurred from moving or re-seating the tray while making the impressions. I know for a fact that did NOT happen. My impressions were perfect - no dual impression at all. They said they'll send me another kit to make new impressions for $49. What happened to Gavin saying my impressions had been approved already? This seems like a scam to get another $49 out of me. Since I'm about to leave for vacation and don't really feel like being stressed out about this, I'm waiting to contact them about this contradicting information when I return. I'll update later, but so far, I'm not feeling too good about this company.