CO2 Laser/ Full Facial Resurfacing - Sacramento, CA

Hi all. I am 52 and recently retired after 25 very...

Hi all. I am 52 and recently retired after 25 very long years in law enforcement. I was raised in Southern California and Florida, so I have spent most of my life in a pool or on the beach. Needless to say, I have a lot of sun damage and wrinkles. I did a lot of research on skin resurfacing. I knew all the supplies I needed, and stocked up on them. I knew I needed an 'aggressive' treatment. But, I was concerned about scarring. I had a consultation with Dr. Susan Silva. She suggested I have the CO2 laser treatment. She answered my questions and I felt comfortable with Dr. Silva, and her staff. I had my procedure on 9-9-14. Oh My Dog! It was painful. I applied numbing cream 2.5 hours prior to my appointment. Once I arrived, another coat was put on my face. I was administered pain medication ( orally and a shot) I had shots of novocaine to my face too. Still, it hurt. The procedure itself did not take that long. But you need time to allow the medicine to set in. The entire process was about 3 hours. ( arrival time to pick up and going home) I will be taking antibiotics and antiviral medicine. This treatment is hardcore and I anticipate a good month of healing. The day after my treatment I had nausea from prior pain meds. My face was a little sore, but no big deal. The second day I awoke to a 'pumpkin head'. I was swollen and brownish/orange looking. I felt like I had a super bad sunburn. But again, not unbearable. Every two hours I do a vinegar and cool water rinse. I get up in the middle of the night too. I sleep sitting upright to avoid additional swelling. I am sleeping in our guest room. My golden and my husband are now 'spooning' without me :-D. After the rinse, I apply a thick coat of aquaphor and will repeat this for one week. I am on day 3 and I am still swollen. I am peeling and my face feels tight. No pain. The worst part of this thing has been wearing greasy gunk on my face 24/7. My hair is getting a great conditioning however. I miss my dog, but need to avoid dander, hair and any possible germs. I wash my hands constantly. Basically, your face is one big wound, so you must be tenacious in keeping things sanitary. I will try and keep you all updated on my journey. Oh yeah, one more thing, day time tv bites. Watching a lot of Netfix and Kindle.

Day 4--No rest for the wicked.... or the itchy

I thought things were going awfully smooth. I had NO sleep last night. My face itched so badly. I know it is a part of the healing process, but ugh, I need my rest. I also know to not scratch. Tried benedryl, no help. Any other suggestions out there?

Check up

I contacted my doctor and advised her of the itching, I also sent her a photo. She had me come into her office for a culture. She said I looked good, but wanted to rule out an infection. No results for a few days. She was also concerned I may be allergic to the Aquaphor. Anyway, she has me switching to Crisco. No more vinegar. Just soak with distilled water, apply greasy mess. She came into her office on a Saturday. She is very nice, and I never feel rushed.

Day 6

No more peeling, and the itching has diminished. I am going a bit stir crazy. But I am healing pretty fast. Check up on Wed.

still red but feeling GOOD

No more vinegar rinses. Lots of moisturizer.

One week!

Everything is healing nicely. Still have some red spots. But, so far, so good. :-)

spotless (almost)

Hi everyone. It has been a month since my resurfacing. I am very happy with the results. Most of the sun damage and brown spots are gone. Co2 laser is not for the faint of heart. It is a commitment. But it was money and time well spent. Now, I will continue my skin care regimen, with a good sunscreen and good moisturizer. I will also see my dermatologist on a regular basis. I even bought one of those ridiculous looking full face visors. But, it really works well. Thanks for all the support. :-)

One year later

My skin is still clear, and most all of the brown spots and sun damage is gone. I highly recommend this procedure.

Very few spots. No make up. Scary lol :)

This is my close up. No fillers etc.

Make up

Using a make up app

Christmas picture

My skin is getting better everyday.

Spring is just around the corner.

Skin continues to improve. :)

Better photo

I'm still working on my photo posting skills, lol.
Sacramento Dermatologist

Dr. Silva has a gentle bedside manner. She was patient and answered all my questions and concerns. Nurse Sally has been super helpful. She is thorough and no nonsense. She calls everyday to check on me. The office personnel are all top notch professionals.