23 Year Old Male with Moderate/severe Acne Scarring - Rochester, NY

I am a 23 year old male who suffered from...

I am a 23 year old male who suffered from prolonged, severe acne as a teen which resulted in moderate/severe scars across my cheeks and forhead. I immediately pursued ways to reduce the scaring after graduating college as it was devastating to my self esteem and self confidence. Was willing to pay whatever it took. Visited my derm couple months after starting my first job, she recommended fraxel so I gave it a try.

Fraxel has worked very well for me, have done 5 sessions ($500 each) and have 1 more scheduled. You get numbing cream put on your face for 45-60 min then its taken off and the laser therapy begins. It is definitely uncomfortable but the pain is tolerable and the treatment only lasts 10-20 min. Post treatment your skin is leatherly and a little blistered, the pain is kinda like the worst sunburn you have ever had and lasts for a couple hours after but is managable if you have an AC or fan to blow cool air on it.

Worst part is the recovery. My face was very noticeably red and swollen for 2-3 days and discolored / peeling for another 3-5 days after that. Basically avoided social interactions for the week after treatment. My derm said I recovered relatively quickly and other patients had 2-3 week recovery before returning to normal, not 1 week like me.

If you are someone like me who suffered a lower quality of life due to severe acne scaring, paying for fraxel is a no brainer in my opinion. After my 5th treatment I would say my scars are maybe 50% less noticeable and pores are tighter. Hopefully after my 6th and final treatment I will see > 60% reduction. Complexion is noticeably better however this is not a cure, my scars are still there.

I plan on following up my 6th treatment with surgical therapy to lift the skin under several particulary deep / large scars on my right cheek and forehead.

Hope this helps someone