31 Years Old, No Kids, Liposuction of Abdomen - Ridgewood, NJ

Well, I've always been a little chubby but I like...

Well, I've always been a little chubby but I like to eat-- is that a crime? The last few years losing those 10-15 lbs for summer has gotten harder and harder and I really needed a boost to motivate me. After a lot of research I determined liposuction was for me! The day of the procedure I was really feeling some doubt-- is this vanity? Am I risking my life for something ridiculous? But everyone at the surgical center calmed my nerves and then-- it was over! I had an extremely easy recovery. I did not take a single pain pill despite being rather babyish when it comes to pain. I slept most of the day, leaked some gross bloody fluid, and then went back to bed. Felt SORE. Took some Tylenol. Next day was completely manageable. I'd say I felt fatigue for the first four days then almost back to normal despite some abdomen/back and hips soreness.

As for the results: Right away I noticed I was smaller but it wasn't like I woke up with a Victoria's Secret models stomach. It really does take time for the swelling to go down. It is now 10 days post op and I took my first post op photo. I am definitely seeing a difference and Dr. Ganchi assures me that as I continue to heal the swelling will go down and everything will tighten up. I hope so! So far very pleased with the results but hoping for even more.

18 days post

Just a quick update-- like many others have reported my swelling goes up and down. Sometimes it looks like it's heading towards flat and I get so excited and then I'll do something stupid like ride a rollercoaster yesterday (idiot!) and it swells back up again. I have felt very little pain this entire recovery but there is this other feeling-- of discomfort I guess that just tells me my abdomen and back and sides are tender.
Five of my seven entry points for the cannula have healed BEAUTIFULLY-- I can't imagine I'll even be able to see them, but two are a little irritated, so I'm keeping my eye on them.

That's it-- will update with photos when there's a day worth looking at!

9 weeks post op

Nine weeks later: 90% of numbness in my belly and back has resolved. I have been completely back to all activities for weeks now. I have not had any pain or discomfort for weeks as well.

I have not been wearing compression garment for weeks either (ok'd by Dr G.) as she doesn't believe it improves results long term. Am I satisfied with my stomach's appearance? No. I believe I still have some swelling and am waiting and hoping for more skin retraction. In the mean time I have been eating better and working out more and am hoping to lose 15 lbs to really highlight the results I have already gotten from the liposuction.

I have to say that it is slow going. The swelling comes and goes, slowly petering out. So slow that it is difficult to observe your results being revealed. I have attached a comparison photo of me now and post op about a week or two. You can see that the swelling is going down and the skin is retracting...ever so slowly.

I have another follow up visit next week, i will post again then.

I'm tryin see if I can hit it from behind tho!

I got a spray tan and took some photos and while I am still hoping for more improvement on my stomach-- particularly the area below my belly button...I have to say I am so so impressed and pleased with Dr. Ganchi's sculpting of the small of my back and flanks. I am attaching a photo where you can see the shape is really completely changed. She even made my butt look better! At my most recent check up she said she expects to see even more improvement at that area but I am already more than happy with it. I am also feeling so motivated to exercise and eat well and have lost a few pounds! I am really feeling so happy that I did this!

About one year later

I've continued to heal. Lipo scars are not noticeable. I have made much healthier choices in my diet since the surgery and as a result have lost an additional 15 lbs. I still eat lots of treats and don't exercise nearly enough but I am making sure to only put real food in my body and not taking it for granted. I feel sexier and my self esteem has improved. I actually feel it was worse the first few months after surgery as I felt so disappointed and frustrated with the amount of time it takes to feel good and get rid of swelling. Be patient. Patient with your skin, your weight, your feelings. Love yourself. That's what this journey is all about.

More progress

I have continued to lose weight. Overall 40lbs so far (10 from lipo). I have been concerned about my stomachs elasticity but I think it is still improving. My belly button has begun to look tighter the last few weeks. Still working!
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Ganchi is a brilliant surgeon and artist as well as an extremely personable individual. She took her time to explain everything to me, answered all of my questions honestly and was not "pushy" at all about recommending any kind of procedure.