Primary rhinoplasty regret - a smaller nose doesn't equal better

Sort by:
*Treatment results may vary

Primary rhinoplasty regret - a smaller nose doesn't equal better

I never thought I would want my big nose back. But I do, badly. Below is a summary of what I'm going through

I've always hated my nose.. and that's the common story you hear from most people that opt for Rhinoplasty. I hated it. I would start a my reflection at cry. I would turn my face the other way when sat in traffic so that people couldn't see my profile and I would refuse to go out when I thought my nose was looking particularly bad. I've also been bullied about my nose and I thought I would leave comments like that in my past (I'm 29) but only last year in Summer someone shouted out their window that I should get a nose job. This was the turning point for me. That, and getting married next year. The thought of being photographed without perfectly positioning my nose so that it looked *somewhat* acceptable sent me into sheer panic and didn't want to spend my wedding day anxious of what angles guests were capturing my nose. So I finally decided to go ahead with surgery.

This was propelled when I saw a reality TV star in the news that had her nose done. Her results were extremely natural and subtle and that's exactly what I wanted -I wanted the bump taken down, less projection and I didn't want the tip of my nose plunging down like a witches when I smiled. So I went full steam ahead and booked a consultation with the surgeon that did her nose. As I wanted a natural result also.

The surgeon didn't do computer imaging as he felt that it can sometimes give an unrealistic idea of the result as it's not until he operates does he see a full picture of what can and cannot be done. So I had to explain as articulately as I could my expectations. I really liked the surgeon, very calming and it seemed a simple procedure.. I was going for closed rhinoplasty as I'm tall, he felt an open rhinoplasty scar would be visible and I could risk the scar not healing very well too. During this process I did also consider Lucian Ion but he had a very long waiting list, and stupid me and my impatience decided to just go ahead with this surgeon. I was excited at finally having a nose I no longer felt ashamed of and I could start enjoying my life. I foolishly thought it would make me more attractive as I felt that my nose took over my face.

My surgery was booked on 6 January and I nearly backed out. I woke up and I thought 'I'm I being completely ridiculous risking something on the middle of my face' But my Fiance reminded me that I had wanted this since 18, which was true and that if I didn't have it done I'd regret it.

I don't want to bore you with the details but a day after the operation I spiralled into panic and regretted my decision. I looked at the state of myself and wondered what the hell i'd done.. whilst looking at my old photos thinking 'my old nose wasn't THAT bad'. I had to keep my cast on for 2 weeks and it was a total NIGHTMARE. Spent most days crying in panic, wondering what on earth was beneath the cast.

My surgeon strongly reminded me that the nose will swell when the cast comes off within minutes and that the tip can retain swelling for 18 months. Well, I never took that comment too seriously when considering Rhinoplasty and I wish I did.

When the cast came off, I liked my nose, it looked refined and straight and a smaller version of my nose. Within hours...it was a swollen fat, mess and I haven't liked it since.

My nose now looks very rounded on the end and i also have a curved profile which I didn't ask for or want.. it wasn't curved when the cast came off so I'm not sure if there was swelling concealing the curve or where the tip is swollen, creating the illusion of a curve.

In addition my nose has been upturned.. I didn't want this. I only wanted my nose not to dip when I smile. I also have a longer looking lip now and I think this is because my nose has been upturned it creates the illusion of a longer lip which makes me look plain weird. I feel fake and ugly

Other things I didn't know about rhinoplasty:

-After surgery I couldn't smile and my lip covered my teeth. This lasted 4 weeks and was very scary.
-When the cast came off my whole face was stiff especially at the base of my columnella. But this could be because my surgeon had to break that bone (unexpectedly) because during surgery it looked bent once everything was straightened.

I'm trying to be patient as I know that Rhinoplasty has a long recovery time.. but I am honestly struggling. I have never felt so ugly and disgusting in my life and never did i think i'd want my old nose back because i think it suited me much better. I just hope I have tip swelling that will go down in time.

I encourage everyone to think long and hard about rhinoplasty as it's not a simple fix, it can affect the other features on your face and I didn't consider that. I wish i realised my large nose wasn't such a big deal as having a smaller nose doesn't necessarily make you prettier, it can have the opposite effect.

It's early 3 months since my procedure and…

It's early 3 months since my procedure and Im severely depressed. I absolutely hate my nose. It's upturned when I didn't ask for that and bulbous on the end. I liked my nose when the cast came off as I had a straight profile which I asked for. But within 24 hours I had a curve on my bridge that hasn't gone away. My nose looks fake. I askEd for a really subtle change and this is so vastly different from what I wanted. It doesn't suit my face. My eyes now look piggy and I have a long upper lip where he has upturned the tip. Please can someonever help. Do you think my nose will return to when the cast was removed? I'm in utter despair. Please don't ever have your nose operated on. It's ruined my life.

3 month visit to Surgeon

So I saw my Surgeon yesterday. He said I was 'on-track' and that I still had a lot of swelling and that the tip of the nose swells disproportionately to the bridge. Since a lot of the work was done on the tip I have a lot of swelling.

I then had photos taken and then a before and after comparison. I do not think they look good. I just think my nose looks fake. He said he raised the tip a bit and my old nose was pointing downwards which is 'masculine' apparently. But I dont think a raised tip suits the rest of my face. However he did say it could drop some more. He also admitted to putting in a slight curve to my bridge!! Again I didn't ask for this.. even if apparently it is more feminine. I don't think it's natural or what I asked for.

All in all, he said I still have lots of swelling to go down and that I should come back in December to review. If I'm still unhappy he said we could discuss what he could do to make it better but he's confident that that won't be the case once the swelling goes away. I'm praying this is the case and that the tip drops some more.

All in all I feel in mourning for my old nose. Yes it was big and projected too much but in hindsight it just suited my face so much better. He said I need to just forget about my nose for now as I won't notice the changes by constantly obsessing over it.

If I could turn back time I would. After being tormented about my nose and feeling so self conscious of it, I thought a rhinoplasty would finally allow me to live life to the full, but it's only made me feel far worse.

Curved bridge

My nasal bridge looks terrible. He put a scoop in it! And in the three consultations I had prior to my operation I told him I wanted a straight bridge. It looks so fake..I'm so upset that he didn't listen to me. I don't know what I can do except for wait a year for a revision..more money and more risk. I'm getting married next year and this was meant to give me the confidence I wanted to have pictures taken without being anxious. But now I feel more ashamed of my nose

In Despair

I am writing this as an outlet of emotion. I'm now in a position where my family and Fiance are fed up of hearing about my nose and have told me to 'just get on with it' 'it looks fine'. So I'm feeling completely alone as I can't get my feelings across without being shut down by comments of 'but you hated your old nose' or 'give it time'. I am currently feeling desperate and sad. Sad for the mistake that I made, or probably more angry. I was never going to win when I think about it... my mind told me that my nose was awful. And being fueled by comments from random strangers, such as being told to get a nose job by a guy who shouted it out of his car, being asked if I was a 'Jew' on nights out with my friends because I had a long nose, comments from young children 'why have you got such a long nose', another guy, when I joked that I was Greek (long story/joke) he said 'i'm not surprised with the size of that honker' made me feel that the solution to my incessant insecurity and angst was to have Rhinoplasty.

How wrong was I. Rhinoplasty is a HUGEE gamble and one that shouldn't be taken lightly. Unfortunately I did. I knew nothing about open roof deformities (I believe I am developing one), longer upper lip if the tip is raised and the very fact that a new nose can upset the balance and the rest of the features on your face.

That's what has happened to me. I no longer have a nose that fits my face. My large, downturned nose made my eyes look 'cat like' and now that I have a smaller nose, without character.. my eyes look round. My sister commented on that, so I know it's not in my head. My nose is now upturned giving me 'more lip show' (as the sugeon told me, as if that's a good thing!) and I have a scoop in my bridge, which doesn't suit the rest of my features. As the swelling subsides on my tip, it's becoming 'boxy' or square looking (again the surgeon said this would disappear in time, however I have zero faith in him) My nose now looks thicker as I had a narrow bridge with my old nose. My new nose looks the same thickness the whole way down. I'll post some photos later.

I wake up everyday with a ball of anxiety in my stomach, when my mind realises that I'm living a nightmare and it wasn't a dream. I honestly don't know what to do.. I don't know where to go from here.. how I can possibly see a future with happiness. I'm more self conscious about my nose now and I hate it. And there's nowhere to hide, as this characterless nose now lives on the centre of my face.

My surgeon tells me to 'just forget about your nose'. How is that even possible?! I can't look in the mirror without noticing it! I am getting married next year and I'm just so frightened. This surgery was intended to give me the confidence i desperately wanted to enjoy my wedding day without worrying about unflattering photos. But I now have to worry about a fake nose sat on the middle of my face with a dent forming down my bridge.

I've booked a consultation with Lucian Ion. I really want his opinion on my nose. Even though further surgery absolutely petrifies me and I really don't want to be one of these people who have more surgery and look further and further away from the person they originally was.

I hope for a day when I look at my nose and it has settled into the rest of my face. But it seems doubtful considering that my surgeon didn't listen to me when I asked for subtle. Instead he gave me his vision of an 'ideal' nose.

Reminding myself why I hated my old nose

So my sister sent me this picture to show me what my nose really looked like. And it has served as a great reminder as to why I hated it so much. I became excellent at concealing the true size of my nose in photos - being at a precise angle, tilting my head, having to be on the left side of people. So when I have been looking back at old photos of me..it only shows my nose in it's best light and not how it truly looked to me as I would never allow anyone to take a photo of me unless it was perfectly posed.

I'm therefore grateful to my sister that she did take this picture as it is helping me stay positive. I still miss my old nose terribly, I feel like I've lost my identity in some ways and I feel that it gave me character. At this point just trying to stay hopeful that my new nose will continue to keep dropping, reduce in swelling and become more refined. I still can't cope with having pictures taken of my new nose as I'm so frightened of what it might look like on camera.

I can't accept what I've done

I'm struggling so much. I can't accept what's happened. I feel so distraught that I asked my surgeon for a straight profile and my nose, except less projection. However he's given me a curved bridge that's upturned. It just doesn't suit the rest of my face and looks so fake. I don't know what to do, the worst decision I made. I did this to finally leave my nose and the comments in the past bit this nose is far worse.

The ever increasing scoop

As time passes, the 'scoop' in my nose is worsening.. and the tip seems really big. I'm not sure whether that's swelling still or whether it's unbalanced as the bridge has been overresected. As the days go on, it doesn't get any easier.. I cannot wait to see Lucian Ion. I've seen so many positive experiences on Real Self of women that have exactly the result they wished for..and I couldn't be happier for them. I just feel so upset that my 'Celebrity' surgeon didn't do the same. He did what he deemed to be 'feminine'. Far too much bridge has been removed. :-(

Taping

A few weeks ago a kind lady on here suggested that I tape my nose. My surgeon didn't really recommend I do anything to my nose. However I decided to give the tape a go and now each night I apply three strips across my nose. I apply them tightly. I think the swelling has improved quite a bit..my nose isn't AS curved. I'm getting more used to my nose as it becomes more refined. I still wish I had a dead straight bridge but at the moment I can't face the idea of more surgery. I might consider fillers.
One thing I have learned is that swelling is so variable. If I go to the gym my nose is really swollen for the next day. I hope that improves.

Taping

Tip Swelling - Need honest opinion

Hi All,
For all those that have had rhinoplasty, is it really true that tip swelling can last a year? I had a fair amount of tip work done and some days my tip looks very round and large.. larger than it was before! I just wanted to know if this was a myth or others have experienced tip refinement over a year as the swelling subsided and the skin shrunk to the new nasal structure.
Thank you!

My old face vs my new face

I struggle to look at pictures of my old face.. I identify myself with that face more than i do my new one. It's an awful feeling wanting something back that you can't have. I'm still struggling with my new nose and I hope I can look back in a year's time and just label this part of my life as a tough time. I am consumed by nose 24/7. Has anyone else our there grown to love their nose? Did it improve massively over time? Rhinoplasty is psychologically been hugely damaging to me

A massive thank you

I just wanted to thank everyone who has been so reassuring and kind with their words of positivity and encouragement. It's so helpful to hear of people's own accounts and their journey with swelling. Before having my surgery, I totally overlooked how lengthy recovery is and how psychologically impacting it is. I know that I do not have a 'botched' nose, although my nasal bones have drifted (as confirmed by my surgeon) so I have a slight dent down the front of the bridge.

It's really difficult when you pluck up the courage after a decade to go through with surgery and then you have an outcome you wasn't expecting or asked for. I also assumed I would still look like me.. so looking in the mirror now is hard as I naively expected to look the same. After 30 years of seeing the same face it's a shock to see something different (I assumed I'd look totally the same with an improved version of my nose) Instead I'm getting used to a new identity.

All in all, I just wanted to say thank you from the bottom of my heart at how kind (most) people on RealSelf are.. you truly are wonderful and are helping me get through a dark place. xx

Positive stories?

Hi all,
I'm feeling fairly low. I *think* the tip of my nose is swollen and is yet to get definition, however my mind tells me this is it! My tip is also a bit too high for my liking, which is no secret. So, does anyone have any positive stories that they know of, where after a year ladies finally love their nose as it's taken their nose that long to settle. I'm seeing so may other reviews of immediately great results, I'm wondering whether I'm being naive thinking that my nose will still change a lot?

Step off deformity?

Hi guys, can anyone shed some light on what the hell this is. In certain lighting, as my photo shows, I have this huge sunken area at the side of my nose. I've done some vague research and heard a term called a 'step off deformity'. I'm so upset! I've emailed my surgeon and I'm awaiting a response. It's just becoming more evident that i'll need a revision :-(