31 Years Old, 215 Lbs., 5'2", BMI 39 - Pittsbugh, PA

Hello Everyone, I will be going to my 6th and...

Hello Everyone,

I will be going to my 6th and final appointment with the Bariatric Team on 7/22/16. I'm starting to get really nervous about this surgery and having some doubts. I know that I'm considered a "light weight", but I have high cholesterol, pre-diabetes, severe acid reflux, asthma, joint pain, hypothyroidism, etc. I have tried every diet, exercise plan, and pill you can imagine to lose the weight and it doesn't seem to work long term. I feel like this is a last ditch effort to improve my health before it gets too bad. A friend recently asked me, why I am doing this? I don't know if I know the answer to that anymore. If I can't control my eating and implement a successful exercise plan, why am I doing this? Maybe if I just have enough will-power I could lose the weight on my own. I am only 215 pounds and is this really a smart decision? Have I really tried and done everything possible to get my weight down, or have I just made excuses? Am I afraid to let go of food because I fear that I may actually have to deal with my emotions? These are some of the questions swirling around in my head and I know I'm the only one who can answer them. I am the only one that can make this decision, but is it the best decision? Since revealing that I'm getting this surgery to several friends, it just seems most people think I am making the wrong decision. That this surgery is meant for people who have a higher BMI or their lives are in significant danger. The truth is that I'm not going to die if I don't get this surgery, yes my weight impacts my health but I am not critically unhealthy. This is one of the most difficult decisions I've ever made and I don't know what to do. I know no one can tell me what to do, I'm just confused.