I Was Hesitant, but I Love It! - Phoenix, AZ

Sort by:
*Treatment results may vary

My face was not as bad as my back, but my back was...

My face was not as bad as my back, but my back was so bad that I couldn't wear dresses, swimsuits, or anything else that exposed my back without being self conscious of my acne.

I have been on accutane for just over 2 months now. I have no acne. None. Anywhere.

I was hesitant to take accutane because of the depression side effects. My doctor assured me that, in the 25 years that he had been prescribing accutane, only 2 people had ever reported depression as a symptom. I was worried because when I had taken birth control pills, I got severely depressed. Accutane has not caused this symptom for me at all. I actually feel somewhat happier than I used to feel because I am more self confident without my face and back covered in acne.

My advice is to be open and honest with your dermatologist. After about a week and a half I was having several nosebleeds each day. I waited for my next appointment to tell my doctor because I thought there was nothing he could do about it. Immediately, he said I should have told him, told me to take a few days off from the pills, and gave me a gradual schedule to work up to the proper dosage. I'm back to my original dosage and have not had a nose bleed, no dry skin, and barely chapped lips (I live in AZ, so I'm used to dry as a daily thing).