38, No Kids, Post MWL - Pawtucket, RI

I finally decided to start treatment on my 20...

I finally decided to start treatment on my 20 year-old varicose veins. I had my initial consult at a vein treatment center in July 2016 followed up by a deep vein ultrasound a month later. After getting prescribed compression stockings and going through a one month trial with those, I was approved for vein treatment.

On 10/14/2016, I arrived at the office and took my prescribed lorazepam and antibiotic. After doing another really quick ultrasound, they marked my left leg and I walked into the procedure room. To say I was nervous about the ordeal was an understatement and I, along with my iPhone and ear buds, stayed hidden under the full body drape for the entire 1.5 hrs.

I was treated to EVLT in two areas of my upper thigh, had injections in my lower leg for spider veins and then had a dreaded phlebectomy. The worst part of all of it was the darn lidocaine shots! Sheesh! Overall, I am not going to say it was the most fun I've had because of course you can still feel "pressure," but it was virtually pain free and I left the office with a 2 out of 10 pain score.

Regarding pain, that's about where it has stayed since (between a 1 and 2). I took ibuprofen a couple of nights to help alleviate some soreness and that was it.

My follow-up with the vascular radiologist is 7 day post or 10/21. Until then, I am wearing a series of dressings covered by a one-legged compression hose (chap-style) 24/7. On Friday, they should remove the dressings, steri strips and reduce my stocking time to only 8 hours a day (for sleeping only) which means I'll be able to take a full shower!

I will post pictures of where I am now shortly.

Day 5 Picture

Treated leg is still under wraps on Day 5. My upper, inner thigh is sore but this is pretty consistent with where I've been feeling mild discomfort.
Rhode Island Medical Imaging