41 Year Old Runner, Mom of One - 5'7" 140# - 475/500 HP Smooth Round Silicone Unders

I am an (almost) 41 year old mother of a 12 year...

I am an (almost) 41 year old mother of a 12 year old. I am an avid runner and lift weights. I have wanted a BA for about 10 years. Within the last year and a half I have been working out pretty seriously and have lost a lot of fat. Why are the boobs always the first to go? They didn't look great before, but now are really sad. I hate leaning forward! I am 5'7" and weigh 138. I am probably currently a 34 A/deflated B and am hoping to go to a D.

First Consultation

I went to my first consultation visit last week. I am really pleased with the PS at this point. His staff was very attentive and so was he. At this point I am looking at 450cc implants. I'm worried they will be too small, however my PS said he wasn't sure with my tissue and nipple placement that bigger would work. I hope to clear this up at my next consultation. I'm attaching my photos with the sizers.

Rice Sizers

Today I went to try on some bras with the rice sizers that I made. The rice sizers should be about 450-475 depending on which chart you use. The bra that fit best was 34DD. I really love how this size looks. What do you think? I would like to take these pics to the PS. Do you think that would be helpful?

Pre-Op Appointment Tomorrow!!!!

I'm so excited for my pre-op appointment tomorrow. I've already tried the sizers on at my initial consultation, but everything will be finalized tomorrow. The patient coordinator said to bring additional tops to try on with the sizers. What kinds of things do you think I should take? Pics are some I took with rice sizers that are about 475cc.

Pre-op Rice Sizer Photos

Pics taken with rice sizers ~475cc

Pre-Op Appointment! Goal Size Finalized!!

I'm so excited! I think I am driving my husband crazy talking about it. I went in yesterday for my pre-op appointment. We finalized my goal size. My left breast is smaller than my right. During my initial consultation I was thinking around 450cc. I think it was most difficult to wrap my head around having boobs! Haha!

After my initial consultation, I made rice sizers at home. This really helped me become more comfortable with a larger size. I tried on my own clothes and even tried them on with bras at a store. The rice sizers should have been close to 475cc.

Yesterday I took some of the same shirts I had tried the rice sizers on with and going 500 on the left and 475cc on the right to achieve my goal look. I'm hopeful that Dr. Q will be able to do this! Pics with sizers in the office yesterday!

24 Hours to go!!!!

Wow! I thought my surgery date seemed so far away and here I am looking at tomorrow going, "What!?" I'm so excited. I went on my last run (for a while) this morning. I have my prescriptions filled, magazines, books & my Netflix queue ready... Just need to get those new girls! My surgery time is 1:30 tomorrow. I wish they had been able to move it up. But this will be fine. I am posting my before photos. Ew!!!

I did it! Home and resting!

So I'm home! My surgery was moved up about an hour and a half. All went well. No issues with pre-op anesthesia or post op. Woke up super groggy and thirsty. I'm so excited my doctor was able to do exactly what I wanted! 475cc left & 500cc right! Woo hoo. Having a lot of pressure? Stiffness? I wouldn't call it pain. Taking meds and trying to move around every hour or so. I'm in an ace wrap until tomorrow when I go back to my post-op tomorrow.

Post-Op Day 1! Follow up visit w/PS

I just saw my PS for my one day post op visit. I slept really well last night in a recliner, per physician instructions. I've been taking 1.5 pain pill & muscle relaxer, but I'm going to try to taper back to 1. PS recommended tapering the Valium as well.

The PS is pleased with how everything looks. I'm swollen up top, as to be expected. My under arm incisions look good. He removed the ace wrap and now will go without a bra for 6-8 weeks. I was also instructed to start pulling side boob in toward the cleavage, but no massage yet. Move my UEs as tolerated and can shower when I feel like it. My hubby is being a great supporter!

Overall feeling good. My "pain" is about a 3-4/10, but it is more a tightness feeling than anything. Occasional burning under the boob. Felt good enough to stop for lunch & by REI on our way home!

Post Op Day 3

I'm feeling super tired today. Yesterday I felt like I was pretty much knocked out all day with pain meds. I stopped taking them today. I feel a little bloated.

My left side feels great. I am doing the squeezing on the side per my physician. The right side is definitely more bruised and still riding high. It is more sore and I cannot move my right arm as comfortable on that side.

Post Op Day 4 (posted the next day)

1 Week Old!

Today marks a week since my surgery. I am finally feeling more normal and able to move around the house and get back to some daily activities. I tried on an old swimsuit of mine. I wish I had better pictures of myself in this suit prior to my surgery! Also including a picture of my incision at one week. The right side is still showing some swelling and is higher than the left, but I can tell it is dropping.

2 Weeks!

Wow! I can't believe two weeks have gone by. I feel like it's been a long time ago that the surgery occurred, but also not! I am feeling very good. My left boob is really softening and my muscle feels fairly normal. The right side is improving but just not as quickly as the left. I do see improvement, though. I do some side squeezes (pulling breasts into cleavage) per my dr as well as some massage on the right per my dr. This week I was able to start light cardio. It feels sooooo great to be exercising again, even if it isn't as intense as I am used to. (2x/day prior!) I've done some walking at about 15 mph and the stationary bike. I've also done some lower body exercises, body weight only. I do still feel some tightness across my boobs, mostly on the right but sometimes the left, too.

3 Weeks Post- op today!

Today is 3 weeks past my surgery. I'm feeling better every day. I continue to have some tightness across the lower part of my boobs, more right than left. I'm also getting a few zingers here and there, but it isn't intolerable. My right boob is still much higher than the left which is frustrating! Why can't they settle at the same time!?

4 Weeks Post-Op

I can't believe a month has passed. I continue to have mild tightness across my chest every now and then, mostly in the evening. I also get the muscle spasms when I attempt to do things that activate my pec muscles. Somewhat annoying! I think the left side is looking great! I thought I could see changes in the right, but looking at the pics I'm not sure. Thoughts? Tomorrow I see my doctor for another follow up appointment. I would really like to start easing back into running, so I hope he gives me the OK.

First Run Post-Op!!

Yesterday was my 4 week appointment with my doctor. He feels all looks generally good. He does feel the right implant is having a more difficult time dropping into the pocket. It is still riding higher than the left. He gave me some more rigorous exercises/massage to do.

He also cleared me for running & cycling and says I can slowly work back up to weights & my pre-surgery exercise routine. That was exciting!

I ran a short distance today (3 miles) wearing a Moving Comfort Juno sports bra. That thing is a beast and the girls did not move at all. Haha! It was pretty comfortable. There is quite a bit of fabric and I hope it will not rub under the armpit on longer runs, but I also feel that as my right implant settles the bra will sit lower under the arm. I was able to purchase the bra on sale for $39. I wore a 34E(DDD). Overall it was a good experience!

5 Weeks - Concerns about Right Side

Yesterday was 5 weeks! On a positive note... I am feeling really good! I'm getting back into running. Doing a few weights (still can't to much that involve the pecs). I've learned that a supportive bra makes a huge difference with impact exercise. So I'm going to have to make some investments!

I'm just worried about righty. I know each breast is a separate surgery and that in the scheme of things it hasn't been that long.... But I just wish it was dropping a little quicker! I'm worried it never will! I do know the right side was higher pre-surgery. And that my doctor made a pocket lower on the right to make them even. Maybe that takes more time? I can push the implant down into the pocket during the massages that I am supposed to do, so I know that it is still open. I do all my massages religiously! I can tell that it is getting softer. Maybe more rounded on the bottom?? I don't know. Maybe I am just being too impatient. Thoughts??

5 Weeks Concern about right side

6 Weeks - Sports Bra Reviews

This week (Wednesday) was my 6 week post surgery date! This has been quite the summer project. Although I have to say I am really enjoying my boobs now. The left one totally feels like it is part of my body. When people hug me or I'm doing my floor breast exercises I can't even feel that it is there. The right one is coming along. I still feel something there in the center, but it is definitely getting better. I've been doing my massage exercises about 5x a day trying to get that right one to drop. I also started wearing a cami with the shelf bra pulled up on top of the implants. After doing that for the last couple of weeks I am seeing a small difference. I just think it will be a while until the right one settled into the pocket. I also think my right pec muscle was super tight. So every time I do my massage exercise stretch it. Grr. I hope it drops soon!!

This week I am back up to my pre-surgery mileage running. (Not pace! But I think that has more to do with the heat & humidity.) I also went to bootcamp this week. My instructor did all legs & abs for me. I also ran some stadium stairs. I've worn both the Brooks Moving Comfort Juno bra and the Lululemon TaTaTamer III. I think they both provide the same amount of support. The Brooks has a lot more coverage, which may feel like more support to some. I think aesthetically the Lulu bra looks better. For me, I like that there is less underarm fabric on the Lulu bra. I don't feel like it would rub as much.

7 Weeks

I feel like I had a boob breakthrough this week. The right side is still sitting higher, but I feel like over night one day it just changed. It is much softer, and I think is finally starting to drop. I'm continuing with my massage exercises and wearing the strap as much as possible.

I bought a bunch of swimsuits last week when Victoria's Secret was having a sale. Three of the 4 fit. On one of them, my boobs were hanging out all over the place. Haha! What do you think? I'm not used to boobs! Do they fit ok?? Are they too showy?

8 Week Progress

I am definitely seeing progress this week. The top of my right breast is really dropping nicely. It still hasn't caught up with the left. But I'm not as concerned as I was! I think with time and me doing my massage it will look great. I think both boobs look pretty darn good... they just don't look the same.

I saw the doctor on Thursday last week. He wants me to continue with massage, wearing a strap and NO BRA for the next 3 weeks. I've never been a big fan of bras. But I have to admit, some tops just look better with them on. Also, I am IN LOVE with my cleavage so I wish I could wear bras to enhance it!!

I did go to Victoria's Secret and tried some on for fun. They fitted me and I wear a 32DDD. It felt really good. My mom had given me a gift card to Soma, so I need to be fitted there, and hopefully I can purchase one soon.

In the meantime, my doctor suggested non-adhesive "Nippies" to cover the nipples. I purchased mine from Amazon. They're about $25. They are reusable and are very comfortable. I bought the large size, suggested for DD. And I think it fits well. The right does not fit as great, but I think it has to do with the shape of that breast right now. And as my implants settle down they will fit better. They still stay on incredibly well, even in the horrible Midwest humidity! I've been surprised. I am including photos to show you how they look.

Overall I am feeling about 90% back to normal. I am running, doing bootcamp and lifting. I have tried push ups... they feel so weird. I am backing off them a little bit for a while.

VS Sports Bra review & Additional Photos

Today I ran with the Victoria's Secret Knockout Front-close Sports Bra. It had about the same reviews as the Lulu TataTamer and was only $35, so I wanted to try it. I was sized in a 32DDD. The different thing about this bra is that it has an inside underwire bra with a zip up bra over it. It fits very snug and is super supportive. I ran 5 miles this morning with no bounce. It was fairly comfortable. I didn't feel any rubbing. However when I took it off, I noticed a small spot at the base of the zipper on the right side. This side did fit a bit different, I think because my right implant is still sitting higher and doesn't fit all the way down into the cup yet. I'm hopeful that this will get better because I really liked the support of this bra. It also makes your boobs look really good! I would say A+ for looks & support, B today for comfort due to one spot rubbing and you can't beat the price. Incidentally, VS had an offer for $25 sports pants when you bought a bra (regularly $69.50) so I bought a pair of the Sport Crop and they felt really amazing.

Another RS poster asked for a more full body shot, so I am including one of those. I also forgot to post a pic of the progress of my incision the other day. And I thought I'd show how nice and squishy my boobs are getting. Hubby says the left one feels like a real boob! Yay!

11 Weeks Post-Op

I have been meaning to update for a few days, but I am a school OT and had to go back to work last week. (Boo hoo!) And, boy... Real Self is not a work friendly site. Haha!

This week is 11 weeks since my surgery. It is crazy. I'm farther along in some ways but not necessarily where I thought I'd be either. I am back to my full exercise regimen. However push ups still feel odd... but I am trying to do them. And I tried flys the other day and that was odd feeling, also.

I'm really loving how they look and feel. The right one is coming along, still slowly. I saw my PS last week and he won't see me again for 6 weeks. I continue to do my exercises when I can. I'm hoping the right will continue to drop. I know it can take 6 months or so! The PS feels that my muscle is still tight on that side.

I do still feel some "morning boob" on the right. Every once in a while I will get some zinging feelings. Which I am sure is nerve regeneration. But the feeling of the skin under the nipple is returning.

The doctor still does not want me wearing a bra. He will examine me again at my next appointment and make a determination then. He did ok a Nubra on occasion as long as it does not push the breast up, like a push-up situation. So continuing with the nippies it is!!

Overall, I feel 99% back to me. And I am loving my boobs!

3-1/2 Months Post-Op

It's been 14 weeks since my surgery. I had to count back the weeks it's been so long! So, just a few thoughts today to update how I am feeling.

I am still doing the implant displacement exercises on my right side. It's definitely helping and when I look in the mirror I really don't see a difference. However, I continue to see the difference in the posted photos. I also wear a cami with the shelf pulled up over the top of my boobs to put pressure on the implants.

I'm pretty much 100% back to all exercise. I am doing push ups and flys again. It feels ok.

My doctor still does not have me in a bra My last visit was in August. I see him again in October. Sometimes the crease under my boob hurts at the end of the day. I think a bra would help this.

I still get morning boob sometimes (right more than left.) I have occasional nerve pain. But the feeling on the skin under my nipple is about 85%.

My husband and I camped in the mountains over the Labor Day weekend and my right boob started squeaking! So bizarre!! I read this can happen when traveling to high altitude after surgery. It went away and was fine when we got home.

They're both feeling very squishy! I love them and I wish I had this done 10 years ago!

4 Months Post

Today I am 4 months post surgery. I really don't have much different to add at this point. My boobs are totally soft and jiggly. I saw my PS this week. He feels like the right side will continue to drop with continued exercises. He also continues to suggest NOT wearing a bra.

As far as exercise goes I'm pretty much doing everything as I did before. I'm doing less reps of push ups and less weight on flys.

I posted a pic of how I look today and before surgery! Wow. This pic also shows the difference in my left and right boobs even before the surgery. The bra I'm wearing in the next pic is one that my PS did ok for wear occasionally. It is called NuBra. It is a self adhesive bra that can be worn in different positions to create a push up effect, cleavage or worn unhooked. The top is a blouse that I wore before surgery. It looks MUCH different now. Haha! I'm wearing the NuBra under!
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Quinn is very professional. His office staff are very friendly and answer questions via phone or email. I would definitely recommend Dr. Quinn to anyone looking for a breast augmentation!