21 Year Old Female - Full Incisional Method To Fix Asymmetry & Variable Creases - Auckland, NZ

I want to have an Asian blepharoplasty because...

I want to have an Asian blepharoplasty because although I technically have double eyelids, the creases are small and vary in height from day to day. My wish is to have permanent double eyelids so that I don't have to worry about waking up with different-sized eyes each morning.

I have been for an initial consult with Mr. Stanley Loo. He was very informative and detailed in his explanations - I had brought a list of questions but he answered them before I even had a chance to ask him.

The method he suggested sounded very suitable for me, and he explained that he would try not to remove any fat as he wants to retain the youthful look. He suggested a 6mm crease height because anything higher will look unnatural on my bone structure. I felt comfortable with his decisions and was very glad that his goals were the same as mine.

He will perform the full incisional method and use long-acting dissolvable internal stitches to hold the crease, as well as short-acting dissolvable stitches to close the incision. This method sounds better to me than the traditional one, in which there is only one set of stitches that are removed after about 5 days, meaning the crease has not had very long to heal. Mr. Loo's method increases the chances of the crease being permanent as the internal stitches will last about 3 months before dissolving.

After the consult I received an information pack in the post containing several informative pamphlets as well as forms to fill out. I will be receiving more detailed information closer to the date of my surgery.

I'm very much looking forward to my surgery and would love to talk to others who have had or are going to have a similar procedure.

Discussing Crease Height With My Surgeon

A short while after my consultation with Mr. Loo, I started to think about having my crease done higher for a more dramatic result. Last week I emailed Mr. Loo to ask if it was possible, to which he replied he will place the crease at the top of the tarsal plate, because any higher means that the crease may not hold, and it may look unnatural. So, the crease height is dependent on my anatomy.

I think his rationale is completely justified and, of course, I want the most natural-looking outcome, but I wonder why so many patients get to choose their crease height.

Maybe my results will last longer with Mr. Loo's method!

Day of Surgery

As I chose to have the surgery under sedation, it had to be performed in a full operating theatre. I arrived at Ormiston hospital with my mother, an hour and a half before my surgery. All the staff were very friendly and the waiting areas were quiet and comfortable.

I had my height, weight and vital signs taken before changing into a hospital gown. My anaesthetist, Matt McGill, came to see me to address any concerns I had (I told him I suffer from anxiety and was very nervous). Having agreed on sedation, he reassured me that he would keep a close eye and could put me under general if I changed my mind.

Stanley Loo then came to see me, to mark my creases and explain the process of the surgery and healing. He was very careful and confident, and further emphasised that he would try to make my eyes look as natural as possible.

After this, a theatre nurse escorted me into the operating theatre. It was an intimidating experience and I became a bit emotional, but quickly relaxed as I was met by the friendly team. The operating table was warm and I was tucked in comfortably.

Matt McGill was by my side and made me feel very safe. He put the IV line into my arm and the anaesthetic came into effect in less than 30 seconds. After that, it felt like I was dreaming. I drifted in and out of consciousness, and I am able to recall some details. I remember talking to Stanley and the nurses, I remember the nurse applying iodine to my face - she said I looked like I had just been on holiday and got a nice tan!

I did not experience any pain at all, apart from the local anaesthetic injections - they were done after I was sedated, but I still felt some very sharp sensations that made me whimper a bit.

The surgery took about 50 minutes (I was expecting up to 90) and I was wheeled to the recovery ward where I slept for an hour or so, with gauze pads covering my eyes. Once I had woken up I was able to get dressed and walk to the day stay room to meet my mother and rest on the recliner chairs to enjoy some sandwiches, biscuits and ginger ale. I was given an ice pack mask to take home. Once I had my vital signs taken again and had my IV luer taken out, I was ready to go home.

Since I had IV antibiotics, the only medication I was prescribed was diclofenac if required for inflammation, and paracetamol.

I felt fine, albeit a little drowsy, and napped intermittently when I got home. Since my vision was obscured I could not read or use the computer much. Sleeping was not a problem with extra pillows. I used micellar water and cotton pads to clean my face.

1 Day Post

Swelling begins to increase, though there is no pain at all. I did not have to take painkillers but took some diclofenac to reduce swelling a bit.

3 Days Post

Still very swollen and becoming bruised. Still no pain though it was a bit uncomfortable trying to see properly.

5 Days Post - Tapes Removed

I went to see Stanley to have the surgical tapes removed and my wounds checked. He was happy with the result and explained that the unevenness was due to the swelling and will eventually balance out. The external stitches were dissolving but the internal stitches will remain for another 3 months.

6 Days Post

Swelling remains unchanged, bruising is very apparent.

1 Week Post

I begin to feel ill between weeks 1 and 2. I was feeling constantly nauseated without vomiting, no other symptoms. After contacting Stanley he advised to see my GP as this was not normal. GP had ruled out any concerns and prescribed me some anti-nausea medication.

I suspected it was the pressure and discomfort from the swelling pushing against my eyes that made me feel sick. I had told Stanley and my GP this, and they told me to keep them updated.

As I had guessed, once the swelling went down a bit, the nausea was no longer present and has not returned.

3 Weeks Post

Swelling and bruising is starting to go down. Still asymmetrical but happy with the results and healing process.

1 Month Post

Starting to feel more normal and getting used to my new look!

6 Weeks Post

Scars are beginning to lighten. Attended my first social event since the surgery, feeling more confident :)

2 Months Post

Recovery has slowed down as expected. No more bruising but some swelling remains.

3 Months Post

Not much has changed over the past few weeks but I'm sure my body is still working hard!

I had an appointment with Stanley to make sure everything was normal. He said my eyes are still swollen but looking good. He reassured me that the double crease on my left eye would settle over time, and to give another 3 months or so to see the final result.

Stanley told me that it might look worse before it gets better as the skin has stretched slightly from the swelling. After the swelling subsides the skin will tighten up a bit and look more natural.

I was reminded that I am not done healing yet and to expect my eyes to look better and better, which is great because I am already happy with how they look!

Stanley told me that I don't need any more follow-up appointments. I thanked him once again. I'm so glad that I went for this method of DES!
Mr. Stanley Loo

Stanley is a very skilled and passionate surgeon. He strives for the best result for his clients and is able to explain every step of the process, giving a sense of reassurance. His vibrant personality may not be the best for calming nerves, but it shows that he is very keen and wants to do his best. Stanley and his team are excellent at responding to phone calls and emails. I received almost immediate replies with very thorough and informative answers to my questions. I was able to book appointments to suit my schedule and have never had a problem that couldn't be resolved.