30 Years Old, 10 Year Old Saline Implant Removal - Newport Beach, CA

I have been debating for quite sometime now...

I have been debating for quite sometime now whether or not to remove or replace my implants. With the help of realself and numerous surgeon consults, I've decided an explant is the best option for me. Prior to breast implants, I was a large A-Cup (unfortunately, I do not have any photos pre-op). I went with high profile, 420cc saline implants. I was happy with the results (don't get me wrong), but as I have matured and my lifestyle has changed, I've found that my implants are an annoyance more than anything.

My explant date has been scheduled (for next week, yikes). I'm doing the explant with a local anesthetic through the same incision site (areola). This is causing some serious anxiety for me. I haven't seen many other patients get their implants out through the nipple - most go under the breast. Is there anyone out there that has gone through the nipple? If so, please share your experience.

I will be posting my progress throughout and hope to help others considering an explant. :)

(.)(.) Dana

Day 1: Implant Free

The surgery was rough (not going to sugar coat it). I took 1 codeine before I arrived to the office, then another right when I got there. I felt no side effects from the drugs. Maybe I have a high tolerance for narcotics? No idea. I wish I was given something to calm my nerves - I suppose the pain meds were supposed to do that, but they did not.

I lied down on the table, was prepped (washed) and draped so I couldn't see what they were doing. still felt not effect from the pain meds. The initial pin pricks from the injections were painful but nothing too bad. The Dr started on my right side and said I'd feel pressure but nothing more. Lies! I felt a sharp, burning pain and he quickly numbed me more. This happened a few more times, but eventually, I felt nothing. After the implant was removed, he washed my breast pocket with an anti-bacterial solution that was cold (I could feel it in my armpit - very odd sensation). He sutured me up and did it all over again on the left side. Left side faired much better than the right - I'm assuming my pain meds FINALLY kicked in.

The Dr sat me up and I saw my teeny tinny boobs for the first time. I tried not to look too long as to not go into shock - I have still yet to look at them :( I have my post-op appointment tomorrow so I'll be forced to look.

In a small amount of pain today, but nothing that's not manageable.

Day 2: Implant Free

Finally got brave enough to take the bandages off. Shocked at how small they are. I don't recall them being this small pre BA. I suppose I may have leaned out since then. I'm hoping that once my breast tissue has tighten, they will start to look perkier and a little fuller on top.

I will say, considering I just got them explanted 2 days ago and from how large I was before, they look pretty good.

I know it will all be worth it eventually, I just need patience, healing and time :)

One Week: Implant Free

It's been exactly one week since my explant. Feeling good, no pain, healing well. Can't wait to take the bandages off so I can see the scar (hopefully next week). M left breast is definitely larger than my right breast. I can't recall if they were this way pre BA and since I don't have an pre-op photo, I can't really compare. Overall, I am pleased with my progress so far.

(.)(.) Dana

Before & After Photo

Side-by-side before and after photo.
Dr. Kalantarian

Dr. K was really great. He did my augmentation 10 years ago and was just as amazing then as he is now. The explant went smoothly (yesterday) and I am healing well. Definitely recommend him for both augmentation and explant.