Cheeks to Eyes. New York, NY

I received Voluma in both cheeks in May by a very...

I received Voluma in both cheeks in May by a very reputable doctor and was very pleased with the result. In July, I tried the Tria at-home laser for wrinkles. I followed the directions that came with the laser exactly. I used the laser for 5 days. On the sixth day, I noticed there was a very large swelling under each of my eyes. I assumed it was the Voluma that had traveled from my cheeks to under my eyes. Each day the swelling seemed to get worse. I went back to the doctor who had given me the Voluma and told her about the laser. She was skeptical that the laser had caused the problem and dismissed my concern suggesting I go see a “lymphatic drainage” massage therapist. Instead I went to my opthamologist who checked my eyes and said they were fine. He suggested that the lumps under my eyes felt like some type of filler. I had no desire to return to the Voluma dermatologist who seemed to have no interest in helping me.

Not knowing what to do or where to turn, I “googled” best dermatologists in NYC (I know, this sounds crazy but its true). I researched each doctor but only one seemed to stand out to me -- Dr. Ronald Shelton. His credentials and reviews were impressive. I called his office and explained my problem. The receptionist said, "hold on, I'll check to see if Dr. Shelton will see you for this problem." As I was holding on I was praying that he would see me since he was not the doctor who had placed the Voluma in my cheeks. She got back on and said that indeed he would be willing to see me. I begged for an immediate appointment and she was able to squeeze me in the next day! (I'm sure she heard my quivering voice holding back tears).

Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

As soon as I met Dr. Shelton, I knew I'd made the right choice. He calmly listened to my story and took notes. He agreed that in-home lasers don't usually deliver much power, however, he also said that anything is possible -- he didn't think I was crazy. After a thorough examination of my under eye area, he decided that it most likely was filler and that some hyaluronidase might help to dissolve it away. He was very honest and explained that this was going to be a process and would not be fixed immediately. Dr. Shelton injected some diluted "Vitrase" (hyaluronidase) very gently under both eyes. Later that day, my eyes were already looking less swollen. I returned one week later and Dr. Shelton was pleased with the results. We both agreed that there was still more filler to be removed so Dr. Shelton injected a bit more Vitrase under each eye. It didn't hurt at all as he is extremely gentle and careful. Two weeks later I returned and Dr. Shelton asked me if I was pleased with the way my eyes looked. He said that getting me back to where I wanted to be would be a joint effort between him and I and even though he believed I still had a bit more filler to be removed, it was up to me if I wanted more Vitrase or not. It’s been two and a half months since my first appointment with Dr. Shelton and I continue to be impressed by his talent. We are just about done with my Vitrase treatments and I hope to someday have him replace some of the filler that migrated up from my cheeks to my eyes. Dr. Shelton is very conservative and has told me that I am going to have to wait until the tissues heal completely before I can even consider using fillers again. I totally trust his judgement. He is obviously not in this for the money. He is the kind of doctor that really cares about his patients and I could not recommend him more highly. If you need corrective treatment (or any cosmetic treatment for that matter) with a dermatologist that you can be 100 percent confident in, then Dr. Shelton is your man.