Botched and Infected Chin Implant with Dr. Slupchynskyj

I had a chin implant with Dr. Slupchynskyj about...

I had a chin implant with Dr. Slupchynskyj about 10 months ago. Everything in the beginning was completely fine. At the one-month post-op mark, I noticed that the incision didn’t seem to be healing right. There was a tangible pink bump that was irritating to touch or lean on. It seemed pretty obvious at the time that there was probably a stitch left in the incision.

When I brought this up to the doctor, he kind of just waved it off. I didn’t really think much of it and trusted him, so I stopped thinking about it. Turns out this was a huge mistake. The irritation only got worse over the months, to the point where I couldn’t even lean on my chin without it feeling like a small shard of glass was wedged in the incision. At almost 8 months post, the incision was as swollen and red as it was just a week after the surgery.

Eventually it got really bad, and it was obvious to me that something was not right. When I contacted Dr. Slupchynskyj about it he really didn’t care at all. He didn’t follow up, respond to emails, or return phone calls. I was actually in disbelief at just how apathetic he was about the whole thing.

I live far away and couldn’t get to his office in a timely manner, so I went to an urgent care to have it looked at. It turns out Dr. Slupchynskyj carelessly left a non-dissolving Nylon stitch in the incision. The urgent care doctor told me that non-dissolving stitches under the skin should ALWAYS be removed ASAP because they carry the risk becoming infected and are harder to remove with time as they become embedded in scar tissue. When I originally brought it up to Dr. Slupchynskyj at an early post-op appointment, he acknowledged that it was probably a stitch under the skin. Dr. Slupchynskyj knew he had used non-dissolving stitches. I’m sure as a surgeon he is well aware of the risks of leaving Nylon stitches in. I don’t know why he didn’t take it out when I brought it up. My only conclusion is that he really just doesn’t care about patients at all once they’ve paid. Maybe he was in a rush to get to his next appointment and didn’t feel like taking the 10-15 minutes required to extract the stitch while it was still near the surface of the skin? I’m really not sure, but the common denominator in all scenarios is neglect.

The urgent care doctor tried to remove the stitch and had no luck. He put me on antibiotics as well because apparently there were signs of an abscess/infection. Later I scheduled an appointment with a local plastic surgeon to try having it removed again. He was able to see the stitch, but it’s apparently so embedded in the scar tissue that I’ll have to have SURGERY to have it properly removed.

I am now almost 10 months post op, and my chin implant incision is still red, swollen, and hurts to touch. It looks like I just had it done a few weeks ago. The actual implant is also slightly shifted on the right side, which was confirmed by the second plastic surgeon and is also easily felt through the skin. At this point, I’ll probably just end up having it removed.

This whole experience has been so disappointing and a huge waste of time and money. I wish I had done more research before choosing my surgeon. Not only are Dr. Slupchynskyj’s results very mediocre, and sometimes second-rate entirely, he just doesn’t seem to care about making patients happy at all. If you have any concerns with your result, he will only listen to them if you’re willing to fork over more money. Once it becomes apparent to him that you’re no longer a potential source of income, he seems to lose all concern for you and your health.

I also had a lip lift with him and wrote a review for that as well. The same complication occurred with that procedure; he left a non-dissolving stitch in, it got massively infected, and now my entire lip is covered in keloid scarring and hyperpigmentation.

I really cannot recommend against this doctor enough. I submitted a Google review for him as well and just noticed that it’s actually been deleted, despite abiding to the terms and guidelines. I would be wary of the reviews you find for him online and really do your research.
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon

In my experience this doctor gave not only poor results but was also truly neglectful and unethical in the end. I’ll have to spend a lot of money to have his mistakes undone, which he never took responsibility for. He made really careless mistakes that ended up ruining my results and didn’t care to rectify the situation in the slightest.