Totally Active After Two Breast Reconstructions Due to Cancer - Tarrytown, NY

I needed a mastectomy after I found out I was...

Totally Active After Two Breast Reconstructions

I needed a mastectomy after I found out I was BRACA positive and was at a high risk of having breast cancer for the second time. This discovery came 18 years after I recovered from cancer from the other breast. I had no choice but to go through a prophylactic mastectomy and reconstruction. That was preferable than going through chemotherapy and radiation again. My first reconstruction, done eighteen years ago, was a free flap where my own tissues and fat taken from my abdomen were used to re-build my left breast. After going through chemo and radiation, I did not want any foreign implants in my body. Eighteen years later, there I was on the operation table again. This time I had no fat left in my body for another breast. After consulting with my breast surgeon and Dr. Salzberg, I have found the best thing next to the free flap - the AlloDerm Breast Reconstruction. I loved the idea that I would not have to go through the painful process of skin expansion in order to accommodate the saline implant. I loved the fact that I was keeping my own nipple. I loved the fact that I would wake up from one single anesthesia and find myself with a new breast that would resemble my own natural one. Living with the idea that I might die of breast cancer was devastating. Knowing that I would still feel like a woman with my feminine ego intact lessened the pain of loosing my second breast and gave me hope for a truly healthy future. I have Dr. Salzberg to thank for. His compassion and caring nature are without equal. He is an outstanding surgeon, the supreme artist, and the phenomenal human being! He, later, shaped my other breast to match his masterpiece. Both of my breasts are evened out and beautifully shaped to fit my height and size!
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Salzberg is not only an exceptional professional with skills of an artisan and the techniques of the best surgeons. He is also a phenomenal human being. Going for a second mastectomy was devastating. Dr. Salzberg, in conjunction with Dr. Ashikari, made the process so easy and pleasant that I would sometimes forget the reason I was doing it - that I was a Braca 1 Positive female with the high likelihood of developing breast cancer again. Dr. Salzberg made me feel like a queen, to be pampered and revered. He made me feel that the surgery was "a piece of cake", to be looked forward to for what it meant for me in the future. The result was a masterpiece! I am an athletic person. I came back to my workouts with full strength and better than ever. My daughter unfortunately is also BRACA positive. I will not trust anyone to treat and work with my daughter but Dr. Andrew Salzberg.