My Melasma Fight - Mountain View, CA

Well my nightmare started on november of 2008,...

Well my nightmare started on november of 2008, when i saw a little brown spot close to my eye on my upper right cheek, i was on birth control and also i never took care of my skin or used any type of sunscreen, also i was a heavy smoker. How the spot was so little i did not really cared a lot about it and then i just forgot.... i guess i got used to have it and though it will go away ... after one year dark brown irregular spots spread on both of my cheeks and forehead, i tried to get rid of them using naturals remedies i found in internet... it just did not work very well, so then i decided to give it a try to Hydroquinone 2% gel, it did work a bit, but part of my skin was damaged from it and turned light pink... I decided to stop using birth control and the Hydroquinone. On January 2010 i got a cooper DIU, so I've being hormones free since then. Last year on September 2015 I found Skinceuticals Phyto + Botanical gel for hyperpigmentation, it was recommended to me from a consultation i did at Skin-Spirit, they also gave me a free laser test on a little spot of my melasma to see how the skin respond.... long story short this serum was too expensive for me $80 USD and the laser treatment costed $800 USD each section... they recommended 3 session for my problem without guarantees of success. So in the web and i found the gel on amazon, i bought it for $48USD and one bottle lasted more than 3 months. I was very glad with the result,...at first i was not sure if it was working because it does not make u feel nothing at all like peeling or anything, so i waited, then December came and i went on vacation to Chile and to be honest i did not take care too much of my problem and some days i forgot to use sunscreen (very bad, i know!). So now is february 2016 and i realized some new spot are coming back not to dark, but i can tell is spreading a bit more from my cheeks. I order a new gel from amazon and i started to be very carefull again using it morning and night every day and sunscreen too. Even though this gel helped me a lot i think i am stuck in point that i have the feeling it won't fade more than this, so after reading reviews in Realself i decided go to see the doctor William Ting and see what can he do for me. So i will keep you all posted about my melasma. I am posting the photos i took before treatment gel and the photos i took 2 weeks ago. Wish me luck! *English is not my first language so i apologise for any error*

For those who want to know about the gel for melasma

It's quite pricy though $80.00, I bought it for $48.00.
Also i was taking Niacin Pills ( I read somewhere that it was good to clear the skin, the pills i used are the Nature's Plus - Niacinamide 1000mg )
It took me a while to find a real and honest seller for the gel so guys be carefull!

New photos February 2016

So this is an update of my achievements using just Skinceuticals gel. The photos are mostly from my Right side because that is the most problematic area i have. I feel the photos might have too much light, but i believe or i want to believe it has faded a lot more.
As i commented before i got an appointment with Doctor William Ting and it was amazing! I feel so happy, he gave me all the options and also told me to avoid alcohol, nuts and soy, because they trigger the production of estrogen.... So of course the options are not cheap, but he assured me they will be a huge step to get my face back as it was and also showed me photos of the treatment on people with melasma and they were really amazing. So now i have to save money and wait for the next winter to do any of the treatment option he gave me =). In the meantime i will keep using my sunblock and using the gel. I will post better photos of my melasma as soon as i can get a better camera.

I just started my prescription plus taking Sunsafe Rx

Well, yesterday I started using "Finacea foam 15mg" it was prescribed from my dermatologist Doctor
William Ting, I need to apply it twice a day, also i am taking now Sunsafe Rx pills..... How summer is coming i will need to be extra careful and to be honest i am very scared to get more dark spots on my face so i am not taking any chances. I found the skin defense pills reading some reviews and; I am taking every day Vitamin C and i will keep using the SkinCeuticals gel for hyperpigmentation and every other day I will use Nucelle 3 Mandelic Serum (I read about this serum in other melasma post in this website) I do not want make my skin to get too used to any of the serums so that is why i will do this. I will post Photos this weekend to compare this new treatment with the old one =).
Wish me luck!

I just started my prescription plus taking Sunsafe Rx

Wish me luck!

March 2016 photos update

Update of my summer treatment.

Hello everybody, so i am not using the Mandelic acid any more, is very bad and it did make me peel, but the melasma did not changed and i ended getting more new little dark spot because of that.

So what i am doing now, well using sunblock all the time even when i am at home every two hours my alarm sounds is very annoying but i am now just very used to do it.
Also i have change my diet going Paleo i have read that cleaning your body cleaning your liver will help with the melasma, this is not magic and i won't happen quickly, the body needs time to recover and get ride off the metals and bad food habits to recover and start to healing. I read from another person here in Realself community that she believes Melasma should be treated from the inside and that is what i am doing since a month.... now eating better no processed food or fizzy drinks and taking milk thistle to help my liver with the cleaning, i am still using Vit C and Niacinamide 1000mg (this one does not gives you the flushing), Zinc and Titanium dioxide sunscreen; i have finished my old serum of skinceuticals and this one worked well but not anymore so now i am using anti spot serum samples that i've got from the mall, i am using them to see if they really work and if they do i will post the name later on, i just want to be sure that is worthed to share the name of the brand since is people in the community doing scam i do not want any of you guys think i am doing the same. Having Melasma is the worst thing ever and super hard to fight and those who are taking advance of us using our hopes to get better posting lies just to sell us product is terrible and despicable.

Triluma works!!

Just when i was about to giving up a friend gave me triluma (her sister was using with good results so she got me a tube of triluma =) and also a vit c serum) from week 2 i started to see a huge improvement i was so amazed, sadly on my forehead the melasma is more stubborn but i hope eventually it will fade more and more, i am so happy. When i started the treatment i stop using all the other creams and serums for melasma and i just used triluma every night before bed and a serum of vit C that morning and night before triluma. Also i quit sugar and i have been doing a ketogenic diet which i think has played a very important role in my opinion but i might be wrong. I feel better my skin would never be the same or perfect but i can live with that i just hope be able to maintain results. Good luck everybody melasma sucks!

myself