Ready To Live Again - Mooresville, NC

I have always been heavier, though I didn't always...

I have always been heavier, though I didn't always see myself as big as the pictures clearly showed that I was. I was just me. I tired easily and didn't like doing things outside. I never got dressed up because nothing fit me and I didn't like looking in the mirror in the first place... I've lived a life of avoidance, that is of every person who owns a camera! I have very few photos of myself. My heaviest Wt - 237 My current Wt - 232 My BMI - 39.8 with a comorbidity of Hypertension(also have Asthma) All that will soon change. I have after many years of trying every diet out there and a solid year and a half of research, decided on The Center for Surgical Weight Loss at Lake Norman with Dr. Heider as my surgeon. I am fortunate that I have BCBS insurance so my hoops to jump through are not as many as a lot of the reviews I have read here. My progress - Initial Bariatric Consultation - 4/18/2016 Nutrition Consultation - 4/27//2016 Physical Therapy Consultation - 5/3/2016 Psychological Evaluation - 5/4/2016 They are waiting for my Psych Eval. to come back and the documents from my regular Dr and then they will submit to my insurance for approval. Wish me luck! I will keep updating as things progress.

Thing are progressing fast!

This is my first update on my journey. I am still going to Dr. Heider. By my last pretty insurance submission date I was up to 234 and my BMI was 40.1 with a comorbidity of Hypertension(also have Asthma).

I am fortunate that I have BCBS insurance so my hoops to jump through have not been as many as a lot of the reviews I have read here. My progress - Initial Bariatric Consultation - 4/18/2016 Nutrition Consultation - 4/27//2016 Physical Therapy Consultation - 5/3/2016 Psychological Evaluation - 5/4/2016
It took over a month to get my psychological evaluation back. I do not recommend Mr. Ferguson in Mooresville, NC. He told me it would take about a week and and a half because he had to request my medical records from my normal doctor. 2.5 weeks later I called to check on it and was told I was supposed to request the documents! By the time it was over it took nearly 6 weeks to get that part done. My final presentation insurance submission appt with Dr. Heider was Friday, June 17th. I called to check and make sure they had everything they needed to submit to my insurance for approval on Tuesday, June 21st and to my surprise they already had my approval! !!

Now things are moving fast I had my-
Post approval w/ Dr. Heider 6/28 and he set my surgery for 7/14
Preoperative app(lab work) 6/30
Workshop 6/30 (started my 2 week Optifast liquid diet this day)
Endoscopy 7/1

Now I am counting down the days. Only 9 more until my vertical sleeve.
Wish me luck, this liquid diet is hard!

On the Sleeved Side of Life

Today I am 4 days post op. Just getting to feeling like being more mobile. I was sent home with pain meds but it hurts worse to take the medicine than it the pain itself so no pain meds for me. I have actually been very fortunate as I have had next to no real gas pains and though I have felt nauseous, I have yet to actually fail to keep things down.

2 days post - 214lbs
Today - 210lbs

When I came home there was swelling and of course water retention from all of the iv fluids. The swelling is going down daily and so the extra weight it brought with it is going rapidly as well. The struggle to get in enough fluids each day is real. I am only up to getting 36 ozs in so getting in 64 oz is my current goal.

Lake Norman Regional Medical Center and Dr. Heider -
The nurses were amazing and my stay was about as good as you can expect considering the discomfort of the procedure and beginning of the healing. Dr Heider was great. I am very satisfied with my choice of Doctor and facility for my life changing Gastric Sleeve. I look forward to meeting the challenges ahead and finding the new healthier me trapped inside here somewhere. The process has already changed me drastically. I have completely quit sodas and don't even crave them. I used to live with a cup of coffee in my hand and now I have one occasionally. Foods that I remember thinking ewe about now seem interesting and when the time comes that I can add solid foods back into my diet I plan to try new things one at a time. I am not having any issues with hunger unless I am around food being cooked. Then I know it is in my head and I just remove myself from the immediate area.

I can do this and you can too!

11 Days Post Op. - Feeling A Little More Normal

Today I am 11 days post op. I am getting to feeling more normal but I do get tired more easily than I want to. I am more mobile though and that makes me feel tons better. I was sent home with pain meds but it hurts worse to take the medicine than it the pain itself so I opted to forego anything for pain. My daughter (aka the warden) kept me from doing too much the first week and wouldn't let me pick anything up. I have actually been very fortunate as I have had next to no real gas pains, only muscle soreness local to the incisions. The only spot really still sore at this point is the main incision. It still hurts a little when I bend a the waist.

Two days ago I faiIed to recognize my small stomach's fullness and lost part of my meal and again that evening I ate something I should not have and lost part of another meal. I'm still in my learning curve. There was no pain just the mouth watering, that feeling you get and sudden knowledge that I needed to get to the bathroom.

Today - 203lbs

The struggle is still real to get in enough fluids in each gay. I am up to getting around 50-60 ozs in so getting a steady 64 ozs is still my current goal. Add to that trying hard to get in my protein and enough calories. Yesterday was my best day yet - 70g protein and 750 calories!

I will include new pictures with my next update.

4 Weeks Out - Post Op

Oops... Didn't Get Update on Here! $ Weeks Post Op 2nd Try

Today I am 1 day shy of 4 weeks post op. I feel mostly normal besides getting tired a little more easily than before no doubt due to my still real struggle to get enough protein in each day.

I never experienced gas pains, only muscle soreness local to the incisions.

My learning curve is drinking too soon after a meal and still eating too fast. Both have hte same result of me losing part of my meal so I am still working on that.

Today - 196lbs

My weight loss has been slow but steady at around .2lbs - .4lbs each day so long as I get enough calories in each day. I am hoping now that I am feeling better to start adding exercise into the mix and getting serious about getting healthier now that the weight is coming off.

The struggle is still real to get in enough fluids in each gay. I am up to getting around 50 ozs in so getting a steady 64 ozs is still my current goal. Add to that trying hard to get in my protein and enough calories.

I will add more pictures later today.

5 Months Post Op - It Has Been A While!

I kept meaning to get on here and post more often but life gets in the way. It is a good thing though because now I am experiencing life like I never have before! I'm more confident in myself and I am physically able to do so much more. The healthier me side of this was always the most important side of things for me. I was on two high blood pressure meds before and I am off both of them now. My back , feet, ankles and knees do not hurt anymore. I can not express how much better I feel now.

I am 1 week shy of 5 months post op. I feel better than I ever remember feeling in my life.

I never experienced gas pains, only muscle soreness local to the incisions, so not everyone experiences a lot of pain but some do so it is a very individual experience .

My learning curve is occasionally eating too fast and not chewing enough sometimes. I do still struggle to get enough protein in each day. I also need to start working out. My results thus far have included no exercise other than the amount of walking I do at work each night as part of my job which is about 3.5 miles.

My numbers -
Today - 171lbs

My weight loss has been slow but steady at around .2lbs - .4lbs each week in the last month which is why I know I need to add exercise into the mix.

To anyone on the fence - you can do this. It is not the easy way out, but the life you will gain after it is over will be new and worth the struggles along the way.
Mooresville Bariatric Surgeon