FUT Strip Procedure 2600 Grafts in Crown Area. Minneapolis, MN

I have been having thinning of my crown area for...

I have been having thinning of my crown area for last 5-6 years. Started taking Finasteride 1 mg daily with Rogaine 5% twice daily about 2.5 years ago that reversed the hair loss somewhat. I was using hair fibers (Nanogen, Caboki) those were doing a good job of concealing things. However, I was a bit annoyed with the mess on washbasin, bathtub, pillows and bedsheets. Also, I had a concern that I might be inhaling these nanoparticles on a regular basis in small amount and that might result in lung problems (?Fibrosis) like silica and asbestos. So I decided to have a hair transplant in the crown area.

After thorough research and picking up a well renowned surgeon in Twin cities area, I decided to go for FUT (strip) procedure. I had the procedure performed on 9/9/15 and it went well. However, I am bit scared looking at my head. As shown in the pre and post-procedure pictures. The bald area looks huge in the post-procedure pictures.

Also, I was given an estimate of 1500-2000 grafts initially, however, at the end of day it took over 2600 grafts. The total cost for the procedure was over $10,600 excluding travel and lodging costs.

Any inputs, if this is the normal cost for hair transplantation via FUT. I really hope to get a good density of hair in next 6-12 months, so that I do not have to use concealers again.

Post-op day 3 and 4

Post-op day 4

Post-op day 6

I am not taking any pain meds since last 3 days. No bleeding. It's been a little difficult to sleep on the back of my head due to growing here causing some pain in the donor area with pressure. Today, in shower, I noticed some soft scabs coming out. I am still being very gentle while showering and not standing directly under the shower head. Still using the baby shampoo provided in post-op packet and ATP mist every 2-3 hours. May be I can stop using the ATP mist today. The instructions said to use it for 5 days. There is only little left in the container anyway. Still have some bacitracin ointment pouches left for the donor area. Will keep on using them until the suture removal day (POD 12).

Here are some Pics from day 6. I am off from work for few more days. Hope by then, I will have some hair growth and rest can be concealed with Caboki fibers.

38 days post-op

2 months post-op

Bald area looks large in pic... But doesn't seem too bad in real... I had my hair cut short to less than 1/2 inch. After putting Caboki on the thin area.. It looks quite natural.

3 months 20 days

6 months

Minneapolis Hair Restoration Surgeon

Very professional physician and staff. Described everything in details at every stage. The only doubt I have is the expense involved. It would be reassuring to hear from someone experienced that I did not spend way too much on this procedure.