Almost 33 and Just Got Braces!

Sort by:
*Treatment results may vary

So I'll b 33 in 2 months & I'm finally able...

So I'll b 33 in 2 months & I'm finally able to take the steps I want towards a better looking & feeling me....starting with the thing I'm most self conscious about, my smile. I have an overbite with gaps in between both sides the two big front teeth! No dental insurance so I had to hope & pray that I got accepted into the local orthodontic school program for adult braces! I had my xrays, cleaning & cavity fillings in August. Did my impressions in September and just got my braces yesterday. I was told that this should be a simple move. So glad I didn't have to do any extractions or spacers.

Before braces pics

Uploading some pics of my smile before braces. I wish I had taken some pics showing the full top & bottom row of teeth but the bottom row never really showed. As u can c from my pics, I only really have one pose that I'm confident in, LOL!

3 weeks down....

Yesterday was the third week in braces. It hasn't been too bad....yet! I had to eat soft foods for about 12 days. By last Friday, I was ready 4 prime rib! The first two weeks, my teeth were sore and I can tell that my 2 front teeth have come back some. Actually they've moved enough for the wire to b loose so the orthodontist changed both top & bottom wires. He said he was pleased with the movement. When putting n the new wires I felt pressure but today I feel pain everywhere but the back teeth on the right side so I guess I'm back to noodles & grilled cheese.

2nd Ortho visit & repositioning

Friday was my 2nd visit to the orthodontist since I got my braces put on. I had about 10 brackets, 5 top, 5 bottom removed and replaced. I also had 4 new brackets added, 2 top, 2 bottom added to the back teeth which now gives me a full mouth of braces. They changed out my wires for new ones. These wires (so far) don't have as much pressure as the last wire had so I asked the Orthodontist & he said that they're the same wires I was wearing, just longer to accommodate the added brackets. Getting brackets repositioned after 55 days of treatment is not fun! I've heard that repositioning doesn't hurt but when your teeth are already sore, it hurts! It only took him about 5 mins to remove them. With each tooth, he held a finger underneath to apply some pressure when removing the bracket. It helped a little because my teeth literally felt like they were getting pulled or cracking. 2 days later my bite has changed somewhat again. I am on soft foods because all of my teeth hurt now & my jaw is swollen from the added brackets rubbing against them. The botton teeth have the most discomfort, hardly any pressure on the top. I've noticed minor changes and expecting more to come.

57 days in

Powerchain & thicker wires

I went in last week for my January visit (12.5 wks) . The wires on top and bottom of the left side had been poking for about 3 weeks so I figured they would clip them & send me on my way. I heard him say they were going to move me up to the 18 & add a powerchain. I'm not sure where I am on the spectrum of wires but this one is a thicker wire although I didn't feel any pressure at all like I did with my 1st two wires. I have "wire ties" on the top 2-5 & 12-15 teeth & a light gray powerchain over the front six (6-11) teeth. I didn't feel any pressure until the next day. It lasted for about 4 days and it was only in the front six teeth. This week so far has been good. No pain, no pressure. I haven't really noticed too much change other than it being harder to floss n certain areas. My next appointment is in 4 weeks.
Dr. Erik L.