Expander for Adult Female in Early 30's - Maryland

I've always considered correcting my cross-bite...

I've always considered correcting my cross-bite but my dentist would always say that my smile was perfect. Unfortunately, after so many years of hearing it wasn't an issue, i started to realize that it was, as my TMJ started to get worse and it started affecting the functionality of my jaw.

So on April 19th, after a consultation with an orthodontist, it was recommended that i start with an expander for 20 weeks and then move on to invisalign. I am now almost 4 weeks with the expander and I can already tell a difference. My jaw has expanded somewhat after about 4 turns (supposed to turn once a week). and i don't wake up with headaches like i used to. I have 15 more turns till i am done with the expander. I have read numerous blogs that say adult jaws cannot be expanded and that teeth only tilt. I don't think this is entirely true. I am starting to develop a gap in my middle teeth (which i dread) and that's how i also know that it is working.

It's working!

It's been approximately 8 weeks since i started wearing the expanders. My maxilla is definitely moving outwards, obviously not as quickly as i would want it to. i see spaces forming between my teeth which is also a sign that there is movement occuring. looking forward to my 20 week mark.
Bethesda Orthodontist