Ear Fold, Spire Manchester.

Sort by:
*Treatment results may vary

Had the above procedure yesterday. So far, so good...

Had the above procedure yesterday. So far, so good.
Not only did my ears stick out, but they are also physically large and not symmetrical. Not a good combo.
They have always bothered me, more so the older I've got, probably because I lost my hair and can't hide them. Traditional surgery always seemed too drastic so I put up with it, but have been massively self conscious about them. So when I heard about Earfold I did my research and took the plunge.
The consultation and procedure took 1 hour in total, both occurring on the same day. Dr Musgrove's manner and that of the two nurses was very professional and reassuring. I travelled there very nervous, but this faded quickly on entering the hospital.
It's fair to say the consultation is a bit odd. Trying out the implants over the ear, stuck on with sellotape and then the positions marked with a biro! Other than that the whole procedure was very slick.
It took some time to place the trial clips as in some positions the correction wasn't noticeable. In others the ear looked deformed. But we settled on a location and proceeded. All in I needed 4 clips.
The procedure probably took about 20 mins. The only pain I felt was when he injected the anaesthetic. Not sure how many times each ear was injected, about four or five I'd say.
The ears quickly numbed and he began. There was no pain whatsoever. Could feel some pulling and tugging etc. But no pain.
The amount of correction to both ears is amazing. The bruising and swelling were instant and worse than I thought it'd be, but having been jet black yesterday, the bruising has mostly returned to skin colour all ready. No change in the swelling yet though.
I had the anaesthetic at 1.30 pm and on going to sleep at around 11.30 they were still numb which was a bonus. You get a bandage to wrap around your head and ears for the first night, but I'm not sure how this helps to be honest. I sleep on my back, so I was able to sleep, but it wasn't a very restful night, which I expected.
I woke up about 3 am and wow. Both ears were stinging. But I was able to get back to sleep, off and on until about six am when I took some pain killers.
I have taken Ibuprofen and co-codamol for pain relief and so far have managed it really well. Having felt some, but very little pain after taking them. I've also taken anti-biotics as the hospital give you a three day supply to prevent infection.
So, the amount of correction is amazing, having pulled my ears in closer to my head. The swelling is unchanged and pretty bad and there has been some bleeding today. Fingers crossed that they heal well the swelling goes down soon. If anyone is interested I will let you know how it goes.

8 days later.

No pain now for 6 days, which was easily controlled with painkillers anyway. Swelling and bruising almost gone. All four incisions pretty much healed and only noticeable if I look for them.
One stitch still in place. Other three have dropped out.
Both ears still tender to the touch, but this has massively reduced. Not quite able to sleep comfortably on my side.
So far all good and pleased with the result.
London Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

5 out of 5 stars Overall rating
5 out of 5 stars Doctor's bedside manner
5 out of 5 stars Answered my questions
5 out of 5 stars Time spent with me
4 out of 5 stars Phone or email responsiveness
5 out of 5 stars Staff professionalism & courtesy
5 out of 5 stars Payment process
5 out of 5 stars Wait times
Was this review helpful? {{ voteCountOthers + ' other' + (voteCountOthers == 1 ? '' : 's') }} found this helpful