29 Years Old, Rhinoseptoplasty, London

For 10+ years I've been thinking about getting a...

For 10+ years I've been thinking about getting a rhinoplasty and this year I finally took the steps to get this going! I did a lot of research into different surgeons, what to expect and questions to ask. I settled on Dr Julian De Silva who was very calm and professional. Time to document my journey!

My initial interaction with Dr Julian De Silva's clinic was when I called up in January to book my first consultation. The next available appointment was a month later and cost around £225, which was redeemable against the procedure. I was greeted by the excellent reception staff, followed by Stephanie who was one of the nurses. After some general questions she introduced me to Dr De Silva. He was very calm and patient and asked me the usual questions. He also examined my nose inside and out. The consultation lasted approximately an hour during which time a few morphs were made. A few days later I felt comfortable to book all the dates in including the preop, surgery and post-op dates. I am currently post-op day 2 and plan on documenting my recovery on here!

The Sedation

I thought before I go into my experiences of POD 1-4 I should explain a little bit about the process my surgeon uses, which is local anaesthesia and sedation. At first this didn't phase me as I'm aware of the potential complications of general anesthetic, but the closer to surgery day we drew, the more nervous I became regarding the sedation. Such questions ran through my mind; will I be awake, will I feel anything, will I be paralysed, if I feel anything will I be able to notify anyone, what if I am aware of what's happening, and so on. Dr De Silva and his sedationist were very calm and put me to ease (for the most part!) The worst part of the whole process was definitely getting the cannula put into my right hand, the rest was a piece of cake! The wonderful sedationist (I wish I remembered his name!) walked me into theatre, directed me towards the table and within a few moments, "and here's your gin and tonic"...

I started feeling so relaxed and comfortable, much like dozing in and out when sunbathing on a warm day. I remember saying something about falling asleep in the sun and then... nothing!

When I came round a few hours later I felt groggy as if waking up from a much-needed nap but that was all. I was comfortable, no headache, no nausea. Within an hour I was reunited with my partner and on my way home.

For anyone who is feeling nervous about sedation; with an experienced sedationist and surgeon who have worked together extensively, I would highly recommend and would definitely choose this method in the future.

I welcome any questions if anyone has, and will continue my experience of recovery in my next update.

Also, I've attached my surgeon's before and after morph; a natural looking result.

Many thanks!

Pod 1-7 & Cast Removal

The evening I returned home from surgery I received a courtesy call from my surgeon, which was very welcome and kept my confidence high.

Again, the next day I received a call from Steph, the nurse who has been looking after me. My few questions thoroughly answered.

Bleeding stopped my POD 2 evening and dripping stopped by POD 5, which is around the time I washed my hair for the first time. This proved difficult as I also had a lesion removed my ear, which needed to be kept dry.

Overall this week sleeping was difficult, breathing was somewhat difficult but there was literally no pain! The only discomfort was when making some facial expressions as this would pull the stitches. There was a reasonably strict cleaning/pill-taking regimen that I had to stick to but that was also fine.

Today was the day I got my cast removed, stitches removed and a little nasal vacuum to de-gunk! Dr De Silva had just come out of surgery when he saw me, you'd never have known though as he was so calm and professional! That's one thing that he does so well; when he's with you he is concentrating on you and only you, whereas some other surgeons I've seen make an effort to multi-task which makes me feel like I'm taking up their time. I felt a bit of an ache/discomfort when the cast was removed, nothing at all painful really. I was expecting pain when he removed the stitches but when I asked when they'd be removed to give me some warning (I thought he was just cutting the thread) he replied with, "they're mostly out now!", so no pain there either! I was nervous for the vacuum too, which was to remove any crust/mucus from my nostrils, but again, no pain. Once he was done I could breathe properly and I left the practice feeling 100x better!!

The whole process has been a breeze so far. To be honest, it's more stressful and painful to get a small filling at my local dentist than a rhinoplasty with Dr De Silva and his team; that's how easy this has all been!!! I cannot thank them enough, every single person from the lovely ladies on reception, to nurse Steph, the sedationist and the wonderful Dr De Silva - all have been so fantastic throughout. All emails responded to quickly (which on its own sets them above other companies such as MYA and Harley Medical Group in my experience, who were both very difficult to get hold of).

Next step: 6-week check in June.
London Facial Plastic Surgeon