Cosmelan for Melasma - Happy with Result! - London, GB

I struggled with melasma for 10 years, wore sun...

I struggled with melasma for 10 years, wore sun protection every day (Heliocare SPF 50+) to prevent the pigmentation to form. I initially got the melasma after I had IPL on my face and this treatment triggered the over production of melanin and my pigmentation started forming on my cheeks, upper lip and forehead like dark clusters. I have in the last 10 years tried everything (I mean everything!!!) to get rid of the melasma, I tried fraxel - If you have melasma, I would recommend you not to bother with this as it is very expensive it will not treat the melasma. Fraxel is good for many other things but not melasma. I have tried Obagi Nu derm which I find only suppress the pigmentation and the moment you stop, it comes back and very quickly as well. I have used Obagi twice with the same effect. I have tried various peels and needling treatments and nothing worked!! I tried Cosmelan for the first time in November 2014. The treatment is a thick yellow mask that you leave on for 10 hours after you leave your clinic. I woke up the following day and my face felt tight and warm. In the next few days my face looked like I had a bad sun burn. I had the treatment on a Friday (I work in an office environment so I had Saturday and Sunday off) and over the weekend I stayed indoors as I looked like a tomato. On Monday I went to work, I looked terrible but I persevered and told my colleauges as there was no way to disguise it (If you are having cosmelan and you don't have a relaxed work place, I would advise that you take a week off work) and they were cool about it although I saw some horrified glances from some people, but to be honest I didn't care. On day 3 I started flaking a lot and using the maintnance cream help to get a better result although I found this stung slightly. The redness starting going down after the first week and I started applying a bit of Lycogel concealer to tone down the redness. Applying a full face of foundation is still not possible at this stage as the peeling was making it look messy. The full recovery took about 3-4 weeks when the skin started glowing.
It is now 10 months since I had the treatment and I am still very happy with the result. I have been very careful with exposing my skin to the sun and went on a holiday to greece and found that the pigmentation cam back slightly but no where near as it was before. I still use the cosmelan maintenance cream to top up the result. I really recommend this treatment. It does require a bit of 'down time' - 1 week! But definitely worth it!!!

Great clinic and great aftercare. My therapist Violeta was so reassuring