54 year old in shape but finally my abs show--very happy with my new tummy! - La Jolla, CA

This is going to be long, as I’m telling my...

This is going to be long, as I’m telling my whole story at once—after the fact.

After losing 75# and working with a personal trainer for more than a year, I realized that the sagging skin on the front of me wouldn't be going away. It actually got in the way when I did certain exercises. I have muscles elsewhere and I knew there were some abs in there, too, but I wanted my stomach to look as fit as I felt. I hated looking in the mirror unless I was dressed. People would tell me I was "skinny" and didn't need to have anything done, but I sure didn't feel skinny with that extra skin hanging around. I wore a size 6 but I'll bet you wouldn't guess it by looking at my before pictures! I wanted to do this for many reasons, but the most important thing is, I wanted to do this for ME.

I had a consultation with Dr. Edelson and was very impressed. Though I wanted the tummy tuck, my husband wouldn’t agree to it. He just didn’t get why I needed to do this, he loved me the way I was, etc. In the meantime, I had consultations with a few other doctors, neither of whom I was impressed with--I'm talking unprofessional staff and doctors with non-existent bedside manner. If they're that way when meeting a possible new client, how will they be after surgery? I knew I'd found the best doctor the first time. A year after my first consult, I brought my husband in to meet Dr. Edelson and he finally agreed to support my decision.

I had nothing but good experiences with the doctor and his staff---all very personable and professional. Everything proceeded very smoothly. I've never had such a positive experience with surgery (I've had many). The day of surgery, the doctor marked my tummy, took the dreaded before pictures, and I was brought into the operating room and climbed on the table. Operating room staff were wonderful, the anesthesiologist told me he'd use all the tools he had to keep me from being nauseous & throwing up (which has happened with every surgery I've ever had), and next thing I knew, I was waking up. I had absolutely no nausea afterwards. I actually felt pretty good.

Recovery went very smoothly and the doctor followed me closely--saw me the day after surgery, a few days after that, then a week post op--he removed my stitches and drain and changed the tape covering my incision. I had no doubt that I was receiving the highest quality of care.

For a while, I was concerned about the eventual outcome and maybe had a little depression (would it look natural, would the swelling ever stop, sick of the compression garment, tired of my back hurting from not being able to stand up straight, I did this on purpose to myself) -- DESPITE being glad that the overhang was gone. I had heard some women temporarily have this reaction so I didn’t worry about it too much. I got through the first 4 weeks fairly easily and was given permission to stop wearing the compression garment and to start working out again. That made a huge difference physically and emotionally.

By 6 weeks swelling was barely ever present and I could see my new stomach was going to look great. It suddenly started to look like it belonged to me, and at 9 weeks post op, I have to say that it has turned out much better than I ever could have imagined! I didn't just get rid of the extra skin, I got an amazing looking stomach and more confidence to go with it.

There are still some odd feelings like when I scratch one place and I feel it in another, and when I get cold, my stomach muscles will tighten up and feel hard.
And of course, the numb feeling.

I'm considering having a little lipo done to the surrounding areas (thighs and flanks) eventually, so they look like they match my tummy a little more.

(I may post a few additional comments as I think of things that might be helpful for anyone considering having a tummy tuck.)

For KCENC

For gmof4

This is how my upper abs pooch out between my ribs. More on one side than the other.

For gmof4

Thought this was interesting. Check out the bb on the magazine cover model. Looks a little like a tt bb to me. Anyway, you can see the same shape under the boobs.
San Diego Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Edelson is a fantastic doctor and I had the utmost confidence in him from the start. He has a great bedside manner, and took excellent care of me. He did an amazing job. I can’t say enough good things about the doctor, his staff, and how well the whole process went.